Painting aluminum...

landboater

Cadet
I have a custom made motor bracket to be attached to stern/transom area of houseboat. It has been sand blasted and Alodine coated. I have Pettit paints undercoat and topcoat that I was thinking about using (possibly spraying on.) The paint is 'Easypoxy undercoat' and 'Easypoxy topcoat' by Pettit.
Does anyone with aluminum painting experience know if this is acceptable?

I'm also going with that paint for the rest of the boat (top side.)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting aluminum...

As long as you are using the proper primer you are good to go. The paint really only cares about the primer. It has no idea what's under it. :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Easypoxy is junk. Terribly soft and susceptible to damage. I painted my whole aluminum boat with it and really wish I hadn't. Sure goes on nicely and looks great upon application. Great paint for a museum piece!

I'm not sure what Alodine is so I'm not sure if you need self etching primer or not. Bare aluminum does require it.

landboater

Cadet

WoW! that was a quick response...thanks Cadet. Actually I am only in the very beginning phases of learning about computers and this is my first real contact with anyone on a forum--it took a while to get to this point. But, on the topic of the bracket: The Alodine is supposed to actually be like the primer (have you heard of it?) It is frequently used on aluminum on airplanes prior to painting. It is sometimes referred to as a chemical etcher or primer. So I plan to use the Pettit undercoat right over the top of the aluminum surface that's been Alodined/primed...then sand...then topcoat with Pettit Easypoxy topcoat. Does that sound all right? Also, do you know how to add a small picture onto this forum for clarifying things using lets say an example of something by using an actual picture? Like the picture of this motor bracket I've made. If I start getting good with using a forum...man, I might actually try that E-Harmony thing.

Roger in Mt. Dora, Florida
Restoring a 1969 Marinette (all aluminum)

Last edited:

landboater

Cadet

Thanks, wish I would have learned this before I bought 4 gallons of Pettit Easypoxy undercoat AND topcoat, but such life I guess. Yeah, the Alodine was sprayed on right after I sandblasted the bracket (which is also made of 1/4" aluminum.)

sasto

Captain

Thanks, wish I would have learned this before I bought 4 gallons of Pettit Easypoxy undercoat AND topcoat, but such life I guess. Yeah, the Alodine was sprayed on right after I sandblasted the bracket (which is also made of 1/4" aluminum.)

If she were mine.....I would clean up my bilges in my "home" and paint her with my Easypoxy

landboater

Cadet

Thanks, I probably will go with what I have.

Roger, Mt. Dora, Fl
1969 Marinette "Rivercruiser" houseboat
34'LOA 12' beam/width (the boat is bieng restored/repaired and has been on keel blocks and side stands for over 3 years while the monumental project continues.) I actually live in a BOAThouse (on stilts) right on Lake Dora; the houseBOAT is located about 8 minutes away at a storage area where I work on it.