Painted prop...should I replace? Prop suggestion?

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just picked up this boat over the weekend. Specs:

2004 Triton 16' Aluminum (163 Sport)
2004 Mercury 60HP ELPT0
Weight of hull/motor/fuel/gear/passenger - 1500lb

It's using a Mercury BlackMax 10 3/8 x 13P prop
Speed on GPS 40MPH @ 5000 RPM
I am at sea level, run in fresh water.

The previous owner painted the lower unit of the motor with a marine based paint, which of course covered the prop. The prop is in good condition, but I believe that painting the prop probably impaired some of the motor's performance.

I want to buy a new prop for it, even if it's the same diameter and pitch as the current one, just to have an unpainted prop.

The boat will be used for bass fishing, and cruising on the lake. Possibly the occasional tube pull, but mostly I want to have top speed and performance on this setup. I ran a couple of 'wizards' online, and was getting some 10 3/8 x 14P (for aluminum) and 10 1/2 x 14P (for SS) suggestions for it.

It seems that the prop that is on it right now is a good 'median' prop, a mix between water sports and performance....I want to lean more towards performance...but also just putting a non-painted prop on it.

Suggestions?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Painted prop...should I replace? Prop suggestion?

I didn't see in your post what the rated RPM range of the motor is? that is what you'll need to know before changing props, I don't think paint is going to make any noticable difference most aluminum props come painted when new, unless the paint is globbed on there like a tarred roof I wouldn't worry but you can always use some paint stripper on it.

mthieme

Captain

Doubtful the paint is going to make a noticeable difference. But if you swap it out, PM and I'll let you know to send the old one!:)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would say the 40mph is a respectable speed, rpm is a little low.I would think at least 5,500 is closer to what you need.Vertical height of the motor can affect speed and rpm I would raise the motor a hole at a time to a point just before venting(cavitation) becomes a poroblem.Be sure it pumps water.
Then check out the Turning Point Rascal prop, stainless performance at aluminum prices.I would stay with the same pitch until you see how it performs.Once you have the hub a prop change is fairly reasonable.
A 1" pitch change makes about a 200 rpm difference. Decrease pitch to raise rpm and so on.Allways make one change at a time.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I plan to take it out this coming weekend to get the complete run down on the speed and RPM, and also trim it out (just before cavitation) to see what I can get out of it. Obviously the boat isn't a speed demon, however it is the max rated HP that this hull allows, so I am wanting some speed out of it. Triton makes good, fast hulls...so getting some speed across the lake on it is a must.

I am thinking a 14p isn't totally out of the question, just need to get the diameter correct. I will see how she runs on this 13p this weekend, and will update. The specs I posted above came from the (reputable) owner.

My goal is to get her to 5500RPM and see where she is at with speed. This may be the perfect prop for it...don't know :)