painted name removal

loghomer

Seaman
Any ideas how to remove the painted name off of the back of the boat to repaint a new name. I have heard oven cleaner will do it. But i would like a few opinions

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: painted name removal

Very Bad Karma to rename a boat!!!!<br /><br />There are some arcane rituals you must put the boat through in an attempt to avoid all the horrible things that will happen to a renamed vessel...are you aware of this?<br /><br />BTW, I have been told Easy Off works, but wear thick rubber gloves, eye protection, don't breath the fumes, and wipe and rinse like crazy.<br />It also is great for cleaning up old oil and cosmoline soaked gunstocks on military surplus rifles.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

Instead of removing it, mask off an oval shield to cover it with a painted background color, then paint your new name for the boat in the shield with a contrasting color :D :D .

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I used "Easy Off" to take mine off. I held a rag under it to catch the run off but it didn't do anything to the gel coat however as mentioned above take the appropriate precautions.

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

you could try a graffitti remover which is basically a weaker solution of the regular strength paint remover.About the worst that would happen is you would remove all the paint down to the gel coat.Try www.napierenvironmental.com and check out their line of marine paint removers.They are water based, non toxic, and won't burn your skin

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Brake fluid eats paint like mad. Try that. (unless there is paint underneath the lettering you want to keep).

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I used a buffing wheel and some polishing compound.It did not wipe right off like paint remover but it was the safer way to do it and every boat can use a polishing. Charlie

ISkiH2O

Seaman Apprentice

Use a chain saw, any boat that is renamed is doomed anyway, might as well get it over quick.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Use a chain saw, any boat that is renamed is doomed anyway, might as well get it over quick. <br />
I agree all the way!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Give me a break guys,maybe you can get the tooth fairy to help.Dont navigate near any black cats and dont steer the boat under a ladder.You can however open an umbrella in the cabin,but only if you stand on 1 leg and wish on a dandilion.I have renamed the last 3 boats I have owned and have had great luck with each of them.Heck,I even found a pot of gold in one boat,right after it rained and a rainbow came out. Charlie

vaccfam

Seaman Apprentice

A product called OOPS takes unwanted paint off. I don't know it's effect on gel coats.<br /><br />Mike

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

From experience I can tell you that there is nothing that OOPS or GOOF OFF will remove that cannot be removed by denatured alcohol or laquer thinner at 1/50th cost.

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've done a few... Acetone has always worked well for me.

Wreck Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Crazy Charlie you're a funny guy! And, can anyone fill me in on those arcane rituals? I'm planning on putting a name to a second hand boat and while I don't know if it had a name before, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

I have lived 70 years, and have never been afraid of "ANY" superstition. I sure feel sorry for some of you fellows that are afraid to rename a boat. :D :D :D :D

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Wreck rider,heres how the renaming goes.You must wait until the 2nd Saturday after the 3rd full moon within 1 year of seeing a 4 leaf clover.You must get out of bed on the left side that day.Stand on 1 leg as you are rubbing your belly while you brush your tooth.(if the person has more than 1 tooth,then brush teeth).You then have to kick a Leprachaun in the family jewels as you stir the paint for the renaming.Thats all there is to it.Oh yea,by the way you must have a wishbone squeezed between your butt cheeks as you paint.Then there is no problem renaming any boat.SIMPLE!!!

loghomer

Seaman

well I have no choice as to renaming this boat. I have been married now for 17 years. However, as luck would have it, the boat I bought has my Xwifes name in it. That will not do. I was ordered to remove it promptly

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

WOW!!!! If my current boat had my exwifes name on it when I was looking to buy it ,I surely would have changed my mind.Well you have no choice ,change the name or suffer the consequences.Charlie