paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

kannuki

Seaman
Im getting ready to sand down and paint my trailer iwas just wondering what type of paint to use. I only put my baot in freshwater should i just use a regular rust-oleum or krylon paint?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: paint

Rust resitant paint. I used rustoleum with good results (I'm freshwater use only too). What ever you find easier.<br /><br />Bob

T-290

Seaman

Take a look at this paint! This stuff can be applied over rust without any prep work and it supposably reverses the process. I'm looking at using it myself,however limited supply of colors http://www.por15.com/

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

T-290, Wow that looks like incredible stuff.<br />Thanks for that post, I will be looking to see if I can find that stuff here.<br />Mike

kannuki

Seaman

thats good stuff i used it on my 65 mustang but its way too expensive to use on my boat trailer. and be careful when you use it make sure your wear gloves and a respirator mask

kannuki

Seaman

and only pour out what you need at a time then put the lid on tight and put in refridgerator it will dry up fast

17winn

Cadet

I've used it several times- superb results everytime. just a couple notes: black (maybe other colors) will get a dull hew to it where ever sun hits it UNLESS you 'top coat' it. this is recomended by maker although it stops rust with or without top coat. another nice feature is if it is brushed on in rather warm weather it flows out very smooth, almost no stroke marks. they have a web site that tells it all. not sure what it is but punch your search with 'POR 15' and it will show home page. Gene

olefisherman

Cadet

the last time i did one i took it to a sandblaster, picked it up as they were finishing , took it home and brushed on 1 coat of sherwin williams industral coatings primer for sandblasted steel . next day sprayed a second coat . over the next 3 or 4 days 3 coats of rustolium white sprayed on .; its worth renting a sprayer if you dont have one . also to get some help to turn the trailer over if you dont have the moxie to do it . thats been over twenty years ago, the last time i saw it the black striping was still on it and still looked good over all . do it like you want it to last forever and you will always be proud.
olefisherman:)

NYBo

Admiral

Um, you do realize this thread is almost 8 years old, don't you??:eek:

The mods tend to look down on resurrecting something this old.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Darn right!! Please do not drag up posts from the archives. This is closed ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.