Paint match Yamaha Cover with aerosol

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
200 hp 2000 Saltwater series ,.What are you guys using for paint?? I ordered by my serial # and got " Yamalube Marine spray Paint 08D Dark Bluish Gray 1 " ,after prepping and repainting the cover rear vent,upon reinstallation I noticed that its not the same color.I get the idea of fading and not being able to get a perfect match however this motor aint "Bluish gray" .The motor is Gray,Granite,Gunmetal gray, etc.I am about to head to the auto parts store and get a closer match in a GM or Jeep color.Anyone run into the same?? Charlie

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Look at part# for cowl....ending digits are color

Attachments

• paint1.JPG
    paint1.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 6

82rude

Rear Admiral

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Reality is, it is very hard to blend rattle can paints to not see subtle differences to original hues. Of course that really depends on the colors as well. Blacks seem the easiest colors to blend and match. With can paint (pints or quarts, not rattle can) you can add a little more or less thinners, and other colors and even adjust the spraying air pressures to help blend colors. JMHO

Oh, Gunmetal Gray does have blue hues in it.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Thanks guys.Hey Faz,that tab was not on an engine cowl was it?? Says I used the correct paint so I guess I am headed to an auto parts store and get a closer match that does not have the bluish tint in it.Charlie