Paint curing time

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Painted the hull of my boat this past weekend and was going to flip it and put back on trailer Saturday or Sunday. However, Momma told me I made a mistake painting it semi-gloss and that it needs to be glossy, so am going to give it a couple of coats of gloss either Thursday or Friday. I am using hardener in he paint, would sunday be too soon to flip it? All opinions will be appreciated.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Paint curing time

How about next Sunday . . .

Yeah will probably have to wait until the, just getting antsy to get her turned over so I can work on the inside.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The thicker the paint the longer it take to cure out, what type of semi gloss paint did you use that needs hardner?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

In my limted painting experience, every manufacturer's estimates of cure time is very optimistic. I'd let it sit at least a week.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used Rustoleum professional. Don't know that it needed hardener, but through reading a lot of threads here I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't hurt and might make the paint hold up better.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The only "hardener" for paint I ever saw was for epoxy paint, or a two part polyurethane paint. Did you use that kind?

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hardener I used was Valspar enamel hardener purchased at Tractor Supply