Paging Ladyfishes

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Hey guys, how is the public boat ramp at Jamaica Beach in regards to large boats (26 footer)? I have only put my little boat in there, and my brother plans to bring his boat this year.<br /><br />We will be down there June 12th - 19th on our annual family beach house rental. Cant wait to get there and get some fishing. We rented on Jolly Roger road.<br /><br />Thanks, Ken

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Paging Ladyfishes

Ken: Mr. LF can probably better answer your question here but since I back the trailer in everytime we launch, I can tell you that our boat is nearly 22' and we have absolutely no problem. As you already know it might be a little difficult for him to turn around since its kind of a tight squeeze with the piers so close, but if he's a good captain he shouldn't have a problem.<br /><br />A word of warning however, depending on how deep a V-hull it is you might want to launch her in high tide. The ramp is not all that long, and in low tide we've seen trailers back off the end of it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Thanks LF, backing off the end is what I am worred about.<br /><br />Have you found a good website that accurately predicts tides at Jamaica Beach?<br /><br />Ken

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

He shouldn't have a problem Ken. There are several 26 footers in JB and a few in the 30' class. They launch & retrieve OK. The biggest problem is that there isn't a whole lot of room to turn around after backing off the trailer. They built that marina a long time ago when boats were smaller and the finger piers that stick out on both sides are a PITA. Add the southerly wind and it can make for an interesting launch. If he's worried about it or the boat is new to him he could launch a Pirates Beach (4 mi. east) or Sea Isle (7 mi. west) for a minimal fee.