Paging Ladyfishes (Again)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Hey guys,<br /><br />Do you go fishing on the Gulf Side much?<br /><br />We thought about going over to the Gulf side one day and were debating weather we could boat over, or best to trailer and put in by Boliver.<br /><br />I am a bit concerned about the shallow pass at San Luis.<br /><br />Thanks, Ken

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Paging Ladyfishes (Again)

Hey Ken. <br /><br />We've taken our boat on the Gulf side through San Luis Pass. You're right its a bit difficult to navigate through there especially when its rough. However, with the GPS and by the good grace of God we make it.<br /><br />When we've gone out with friends we usually leave out of the Yacht Basin. Don't know how it is going out through Bolivar but can't imagine any problems since its all deep water. However, the advantage of launching at the Yacht Basin is that you won't have to trailer it over the ferry and put up with those long ferry lines.<br /><br />I'm sure Mr. LF can tell you more about going through San Luis Pass.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

The SL Pass is the nastiest, trickiest damm place to get through that I have ever experienced. The pass constantly changes. The bay side approach is about 1/2 mile long and snakes in all directions. It is marked but the markers were installed over time by several different people. When someone put in a new marker they didn't always remove the old ones. The result can be very confusing. I'm fairly familiar with it and haven't run aground this year.......yet.<br />When you finally get through the approach you are in 10'-26' of water and can get to the bridge. Depending on which span you go under you may or may not have a problem getting to the Gulf side of the bridge. Once on that side the fun starts. It can go from 40' to 6" in the blink of an eye. The channel on that side really meanders and changes weekly (daily?).<br />The fishing is very good on both sides of the bridge but the current is very strong so make sure you have a good anchor & chain. The best bait for big specs is croaker. We haven't fished the bridge yet this year because I have to get a longer chain (insert joke here).<br /><br />My advice is to trailer either to (a) the Yacht Basin or (b) to the campgrounds on the Brazoria side of the SL Pass bridge. If the plan is to go offshore head to option (b) because of less boat and ship traffic and the deep water is a lot closer in. If the plan is to just cruise & fish near shore either option works. <br /><br />If you are just going to fish for the Texas trio then I would stay on the bayside of the bridge. There are lots of little bays and inlets into the salt marsh which are loaded with fish. LF caught 6 nice trout in 2 hours last week. Also if you drive the boat to the pass area from Jamaica Beach watch for slicks and/or areas the birds are working.<br /><br />When are you getting here? I'd like to meet you and would be glad to share what knowledge I have of the waters around here. (Most of it learned the hard way ;) )

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Wow thanks a ton for the advice. Lets definatley get together this time. We will arrive this Sunday afternoon.<br /><br />I dont think we will try to navigate the pass, sounds expensive, and quite frankly, my family doesnt have the greatest of luck in boats. My brothers nicknames for his boats are stumpy (hit a stump), steamy (water pump blew), and swampy (left the plug in and rain filled er up). My dads boating experience is even more fun!<br /><br />My dad remebers going out in the Gulf and pulling up to "bouy #1" and catching Snapper.<br /><br />email me at kenimpzoom (at) yahoo.com to discuss contact info.<br /><br />Ken