Paging Get Reel and Achris

QC

Supreme Mariner
Perthonians,<br /><br />First, what the heck do you call somebody from Perth?<br /><br />Hey, I am down here in your fair city. This is my fourth trip. Business, but you people always find a way to make it a party too. ALso, just hired one of your fine citizens. Guy runs a little fishing charter biz on the side too . . . Pretty cool.<br /><br />Anyway, just thought it was kinda cool that I was down here and reading a Get Reel post left a couple of minutes ago. BTW, I know what time it is . . . Can't sleep either, huh?<br /><br />Good on ya mates :D <br /><br />P.S. CLosed down the Oyster Bar last night. Great Restaurant!!! I like Coco's too. And Freo, and the river. Can't wait to see Rotto. Have boated twice up and down the river and out to Freo. I love this flippin' place!!!

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Paging Get Reel and Achris

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> Perthonians,<br /><br />First, what the heck do you call somebody from Perth?<br /><br />
Sandgropers :p <br /><br />I hope they reply, Chris would be mighty p#ssed off if he misses you but I think he is still on a diving assignment.<br /><br />Aldo

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I am leaving tonight though. Redeye to Sydney and then home on Thursday. On the water on Saturday. Just got here on Sunday night. I came via Italy, Zurich and Dubai . . . Don't ask, I am working on another thread about my first trip around the world.<br /><br />I usually spend time in Melbourne, but gonna miss it this time. Have projects there and usually visit Caterpillar. We are partnering with Kleenheat Gas (Westfarmers). I will be back again this year though. Thanks for checking in. I actually asked about your screename this trip as I have heard the Aussies say "done a runner" a few times and wanted to clarify. We sometimes would call that "burning tennis shoes" refering to running out of a restaurant without paying . . .<br /><br />I also do a lot of work with the Poms. You guys are waaaaaayyyyyyy better to work with, but you knew that . . . ;)

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> I actually asked about your screename this trip as I have heard the Aussies say "done a runner" a few times and wanted to clarify. We sometimes would call that "burning tennis shoes" refering to running out of a restaurant without paying . . .<br />
Yep , that what it means, but in my case it's.....done a runner away from work to go fishing.<br /><br />Sorry you had to miss the best city in world, maybe next time :) :cool: <br /><br />Aldo

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh missed the best city in the world, I guess he can get to Wollongong next trip huh!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I usually stay down by the river in Melbourne. South Bank? Hang out in that mall thing and drink and eat and drink. :D Great place too, but I have to say I am pretty high on Perth. Been to Canberra and Sydney too, but I am missing out on the other spots like Wollongong etc.<br /><br />I have traveled a lot over the last 10 years and have always said I would never live anyhere but L.A. This country has me rethinking that . . . :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> <br />I have traveled a lot over the last 10 years and have always said I would never live anyhere but L.A. This country has me rethinking that . . . :D
Just be sure to leave yer guns at home Quitecat. Them Aussies is skeered to death of em. :p

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, the airports are funny 'bout that too. Good to hear from you Boomer. Saw the boat project pics. Looking good. I liked it before the rebuild. Good luck with 'dat . . .<br /><br />BTW, I'd have to get them to change the whole tax structure etc. for me to fit in, so I'm thinking it may be a while . . . Ever heard of a Super annuation fund? We call it a retirement plan, but it is mandatory here. Stuff like that. Minimum wage? Something like $14.25/hour. :eek: As they would say "shocking".<br /><br />Also, I need to get my butt outa here and go do some work. The company isn't real keen on sending me down here so I can sit in the hotel and post on Iboats. Party poopers!!!

Dunaruna

Admiral

You guys don't have retirement funds?

QC

Supreme Mariner

We do, but they are not mandatory or gov't run . . . We have a thing called a 401K that allows us to contribute pre-tax dollars to our own accounts. I understand that you have something simialr, but I forgot what you call it. Your Super annuation is more like our Social Security, but it is not 9% and it is in big trouble. So, I guess you could argue yours is better. Also, the prez is trying to get these accounts self directed, he should point to Oz as a place that does it and it works.<br /><br />OK, I am convinced, you let Boomyal and me bring bazzookas and we'll come . . .

Dunaruna

Admiral

What the gov is doing is slowly phasing out social security while at the same time giving us tax breaks and incentives to save for our self-funded retirement, aka - superannuation. It ain't quite mandatory, but almost. Self employed don't have to have it. <br /><br />The funds are not gov run, just gov regulated. The 'rules' are very fair and present very good (and legal!) ways to reduce the dreaded end of year tax payment.<br /><br />I don't know if it's a great system but it is a step in the right direction.<br /><br />Aldo

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Quietcat<br /><br />If you receive this in time give us a call on 0893176118,Unfortunatley Achris is at sea.<br /><br />Good luck on the midnight horror, as we call it.<br />Sorry I didn't see the post this morning, would of loved to catch up. If I miss you give some warning next time and we will do a run to Rotto andcatch a few fish.<br /><br />FYI I spent 5 weeks in a place called Glendora a few years back with a sherrif mate, he worked in the City of Industry. Loved LA.<br /><br />Hope not too late to catch u.<br /><br />Neil

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Them Aussies is skeered to death of em. :p
Not quite right there Mr B. We just don't have a need for them.<br /><br />Yes, I am "p#ssed" about miss you QC. I'm currently up in the Philippines, just about to head out to sea again. When I got back from here last time, I had 4 days at home and got an emergency call to go to the Timor sea, was home only 2 days after that before heading back up here. It rained a bit and I had a nice meal with GR and family. But I don't miss Perth too much in winter :) <br /><br />Will be sort of glad to be home again when the weather warms up a bit.<br /><br />QC, give us a bit more notice and I'm sure Neil or myself can organise a trip to Rottnest for you. (Actually that goes for any of you foreigners)<br /><br />Chris...............

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I'm gone. Sitting in Sydney airport on the layover. Thanks for the offers. I'll definitely be back.<br /><br />Understand the notice thing. Had a very tight schedule and you Aussies are so good I actually keep a low profile so as not to be a burden . . . The guy I hired will run me over to Rotto if we have time, but I am sure he'd like to know you guys too. I have another contact with a boat over there too. Either of you recognize "Pure Gold"? 30 footer with a single Cat diesel. Kinda looks like a Berty 31, but with a larger salon. He has a mooring at Rotto and is in a pen in one of the clubs on the river. Can't remember the name though.<br /><br />Later dudes . . .

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Quietcat<br /><br />Don't know for sure but I followed a boat of similar size back from Rotto one Sunday morning, About 9 am, about a year ago. It was blowing a gale and just a little sloppy. The boat I followd was called Pure Gold, I left him at the heads and found some protection near the moles.<br /><br />His lady was sitting on the deck of the flybridge.<br />The skipper was watching us all the way, and have wanted to catch up with him but never have(yet).<br /><br />Although I have a betram 20, (Raymond hunt design from USA) and have complete confidence in the boat, it's allways nice to know u have someone keeping an eye on you when it gets untidy.<br /><br />Love to know if it was the same boat, as I never got to say thanks.<br /><br />Anyway as Chris said if u or any other tourists come over chris or myself will make sure we get some boating in, provided we have time to organise a day off.<br /><br />Please let me know if he remembers the day.<br /><br />Neil

QC

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like Terry Harwood to me. He works at Westrac, manages the truck marketing department. I'll send him an email and try and jog his memory. He is the kind of skipper that would remember. Very solid guy. He actually built the boat from a bare hull in his front yard. Got the engine from work etc. She is really sweet, clean as a whistle. They go over almost every weekend during the summer and head back on Sunday, so I am thinking this is probably him.<br /><br />Also, I worked in the City of Industry for 23 years and have friends in Glendora. We are only about 20 minutes from either, kind of a triangle with us at the southeast corner almost due east of Industry. I show L.A. on my profile, but we are in Chino Hills.