Page reversal

Jeep Man

Commander
As topics and posts are compiled into pages on the forum, the pages are listed as 1 of 200 or 1 of 1055 etc., indicating we are looking at the most recent first. Responses to posts are listed in the reverse order, being oldest last. This is fine when there is only one page but when a post gathers many pages of response over time, and it is a post I am following, it is always a guess as to where I had seen it last. Is there any way to show last page of responses first, or flagging where I had visited last?

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I might not be answering your question -

If you're clicking on the title (red oval in my shot below), it'll go to the first page. If you click on the double arrow (Blue Rectangle below) it will take you to the most recent post.

Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 1.15.37 PM.png

You can also find your latest post in a thread going through "MY PROFILE" at the upper right of the screen.

That help?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Adding to what Kogs said above - If you click the sloppily circled thing, it will take you to first unread post in the thread. That is your first unread post and it makes no difference how many posts or pages have been added to the thread.

unread.PNG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay let me see if I totally understand what the two of you just stated. If I click on the title, I go to the very first post in that thread. I understand that easily. If I click on the double blue arrowed box at the end of the comment, I go to the last entry of comments. I also understand that as well. And if I click on the little arrow to the left of the title, I go to MY last made comment on that thread? Am I correct with that? Because that I didn't know...

GA_Boater

100% correct, gm. Almost. The little blue arrow thingie takes you to the first of any posts made after you last read the thread. You don't have to make any posts to the thread for any of the three to work. It's all based on what you read, not whether you posted to the thread. VB software retains a lot of historical info for each user and what threads/posts are read is one of them.

BTW - It is not by use of cookies, it's all kept with your stats on the forum servers. You can go to a different device that has never accessed these forums and it's like you never changed devices.

Fun Times

Staff member
Responses to posts are listed in the reverse order, being oldest last
I believe you may have one of your settings under your Account set up in reverse order of what might make reading posts seem out of order. At least it would be for me personally....Maybe you too? If so, try clicking on User Settings then Account and look for Display Mode just under Conversation Detail Options to see if you're on Posts or Latest Activity. I prefer "Posts" myself as that puts the last/newest post at the bottom of the page.

Display mode Posts
Latest Activity Use this option to set which display mode you would like to see when you are on the conversation detail page.

Posts per Page
Use Forum DefaultShow 5 Posts Per PageShow 10 Posts Per PageShow 20 Posts Per PageShow 30 Posts Per PageShow 40 Posts Per Page Use Forum Default Use this option to set the number of posts to show in a conversation detail page before splitting the display into multiple pages.

Last edited:

Jeep Man

Commander
I think the blue arrow will do the trick. I did not know that that's what it did. FT, I will check my settings as well. Thanks All!

UPDATE: I tried the blue arrow. All it does is take me to the last post, not the last one I read. This just means I now need to scroll in reverse. Is it suppose to work as G A stated?

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
I think the blue arrow will do the trick. I did not know that that's what it did. FT, I will check my settings as well. Thanks All!

UPDATE: I tried the blue arrow. All it does is take me to the last post, not the last one I read. This just means I now need to scroll in reverse. Is it suppose to work as G A stated?
The blue arrows on the right (pointing to the right) will always take you (< me on my settings) to the very last post.

The blue arrows on the left (pointing downwards) should be taking you to the last post you read in that topic if you've been in it before. If you hadn't opened it in the past, it will open to the first post.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Ray - Does your page look like this"
jeep.PNG

Or like this?

jeep2.PNG

In the first one the thread is displayed in post order. Your start post is #1, Kogs is #2 and through to last FT's last post, #8. In the second one the your starter is first, and the last reply, FT's #8 is under it and the rest follow in descending order, but there are no post numbers.

What's different? - This Display Mode setting under account in your profile. In the 1st snip. it's set to Posts so they display in order from #1 to the end. In the 2nd, Latest Activity is checked, so the posts display in reverse order with the latest, FT's under your starter.

So If Display Mode is set to Posts, The go to last unread posts works. If it's set to Latest Activity, the first post displayed is the first unread, but you have to go backwards with the page arrows until you get to the last post to the thread. Does that make any sense? It's hard to explain how the Latest Post option works and I find it hard to use. latest.PNG

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha thanks everybody for posting all this. I've learn something new today and will certainly use it now... :thumb:

Jeep Man

Commander
If I had read your post correctly the first time I would not have had an issue. The blue arrow on the left, before the title, does what I want to do. Thanks again G A.

GA_Boater

Thanks, Jeeper. I just wanted to make sure all was working.