Paddle wheel speedometer not working

On my depth finder I have a rear mounting paddle speedo that does not work while I am going down the lake. If I spin the wheel it reads right. But not in the water for some reason. Any suggestions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Paddle wheel speedometer not working

Its apparently located in line with a rib on the bottom of the boat or something else that's preventing it from getting in contact with the water. Mounted too high is another possibility. The paddle wheel must extend slightly below the bottom of the boat.

It is located on the Back just to the right of where all of my live well inlet outlet plug holes are. It works sometimes only when in reverse though, and even then it reads a little lower than GPS.

Moody Blue

Captain

The wheel needs a clean uninterrupted flow of water to work properly. The fact that it works in reverse tends to indicate something is blocking or disturbing the flow of water from the front. Does it read while going slow forward? Does the paddle wheel extend below the hull at the transom? Look along the hull bottom directly infront of the wheel. See anything hanging or sticking out?

I think that I might have found the problem tell me what you think. There is a concave part right below my paddle wheel it is where my plug and other tude inlets and outlets. My this be the problem. If so would it work if I moved it to the right. It might give y'all a better picture of what I am talking about. I have a 82 Champion 18'4".

Moody Blue

Captain

Sorry MCF I can't visualize what you are describing. What do you mean by "right below my paddle wheel"? Think of it this way, as the water passes along the underside of the boat there can be nothing directly infront of the speed wheel. Typically the paddle wheel hangs done about 3/8 - 1/2" below the 'plane' of the hull bottom. Any way you can post a picture?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Put a ruler or straight edge against the bottom of the boat in-line with the paddle wheel. If the paddle wheel does not extend slightly below the top edge of the straight edge, water cannot touch the paddle wheel and it won't work.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Also the paddle wheel should be vertical. Do not match the V of the bottom. Make sure it is stright up and down. If you put it on a angle wheel will slide to side and rub against the frame and slow it down or stop it.