Packing Washers?

tmasloske

Seaman Apprentice
I am having an idle issue with my 1968 Evinrude Fastwin 18 HP. The idle is rough and I can't seem to adjust the slow speed needle to a point where the idle will smooth out.

I believe I have the packing nut tightened all the way down, but the slow speed needle still seems loose to me. I put two packing washers in just like the parts drawing shows. Is it possible I would need to put in a third packing washer to get a tight fit and thus eliminate a potential air leak? Has anyone else had this same problem?

Thanks in advance.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Packing Washers?

different engines hace more or less ,i believe there are washers too.BUT,over the yrs I have found that plumbers teflon tape makes a great packing.You need to take a piece about a foot long,fold it in half twice and then twist it together between your hands like a snake .Take a few wraps around the needle,try and cut the excess off so the length becomes even,the cut end should stop about same location as the wrap started.Tighten down the packing nut,if not enough ,you can add more.Works great

kbait

Commander

I work on these things all the time, and I buy a handful of #47 o-rings from the local true value hdwr. If the old washers don't come right out, just add the o-ring and it'll seal. One o-ring is all that's needed with or without the old packing washers. Tighten packing nut until you feel a bit of resistance while turning the needle, and you're good to go.

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be sure to put the needle in before you tighten the nut or you can push the bottom washer into the hole.I think that motor has the tappered nut.

tmasloske

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.

I checked last night and I was able to tighten the packing nut more and the needle is now firm. I will try the motor out and see if I can get the idle to smooth out. I'm pretty sure that was my problem. When I first cleaned the carb and put it back together, I think a did not tighten the packing nut enough. It must have vibrated loose.