Pacific Northwesteners - Our Life!

Link

Rear Admiral
I've seen severals of these that were close, but Jeff pretty much nailed it.<br /><br /><br />Pacific Northwest.... According to Jeff Foxworthy<br /><br /> <br /><br />1. You know the state flower (Mildew)<br />2. You feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash.<br />3. Use the statement "sun break" and know what it means.<br />4. You know more than 10 ways to order coffee.<br />5 You know more people who own boats than air conditioners.<br />6. You feel overdressed wearing a suit to a nice restaurant.<br />7. You stand on a deserted corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk" Signal.<br />8. You consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain.<br />9. You can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Veneto's.<br />10. You know the difference between Chinook, Coho and Sockeye salmon.<br />11. You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon,Yakima and Willamette.<br />12. You consider swimming an indoor sport.<br />13. You can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Thai food.<br />14. In winter, you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark - while only working eight-hour days.<br />15. You never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho.<br />16. You are not fazed by "Today's forecast: showers followed by rain," and "Tomorrow's forecast: rain followed by showers."<br />17. You have no concept of humidity without precipitation<br />18. You know that Boring is a town in Oregon and not just a state of mind. <br />19. You can point to at least two volcanoes, even if you cannot see through the cloud cover.<br />20. You notice, "The mountain is out" when it is a pretty day and you can actually see it.<br />21. You put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 50, but still wear your hiking boots and parka.<br />22. You switch to your sandals when it gets about 60, but keep the socks on.<br />23. You have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.<br />24. You think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists.<br />25. You buy new sunglasses every year, because you cannot find the old ones after such a long time.<br />26. You measure distance in hours.<br />27. You often switch from "heat" to "a/c" in the same day.<br />28. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit under a raincoat.<br />29. You know all the important seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Raining (Spring), Road Construction (Summer), Deer & Elk season(Fall).<br />30. You actually understood these jokes and will probably forward them!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pacific Northwesteners - Our Life!

That'd all be funny, link, if I didn't live here. Especially all the parts about rain and clouds. :mad: <br /><br />Like I keep reminding my wife (who loves it), there ain't hardly anything on your dinner table that grows in weather like this, so how good can it be for ya! <br /><br />Personally, I think the reason that there are so many liberals in these parts is because of a Vitamin D deficiency. That along with the SAD syndrome (cloud depression) makes people cleave to the kind and fair sounding tripe that the Dems have developed.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

That is so much the truth. :)

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can identify with that -- miss it except it is now overrun by so many libs. Northwest is still one of the greatest places on earth -- just have to get used to the liquid sunshine.<br /><br />Sometime I'll dig out the Un-Oregon greeting that were popular when McCall was Gov. (any of you remember those?) Ones like 'Oregonians don't tan, they rust'. Or 'The water in eastern Oregon is pasteurized; it runs through pasture after pasture after pasture. That was when Californians were just starting to move north and the motto was "A great place to visit; just don't plan to stay".

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

My son and his better half just moved up to Redmond, Washington. Think I'll send him the list and see if he understands any of it. I spent near a year outside of Tacoma....nice place...really. Loved the country and mountains....when it wasn't overcast.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ZooMbr:<br /> That was when Californians were just starting to move north and the motto was "A great place to visit; just don't plan to stay".
Yep, ZooMbr. The haughty little napoleonic frenchmen of the north paid dearly for that attitude in the early eighties.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Summers are to die for, water for boating everywhere, cheap to live here, no taxes, and I can jump on one of my Harleys in the morning, hit Mt St. Helens, up and over Mt. Rainier, do the Olympic Peninsula National park, and make it in time to watch the sun set over the ocean, No humidity, ya can't shovel rain, and the slugs in the garden don't bite as bad as Florida's gators, and no hurricanes. Ya just better have a big shop with lots of projects to get ya through the drizzly winter daze. And the rain does suck at times. Also helps to have family in Az and NorCal too for the winter visit until they throw ya out!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You got the right formula, Robby and it is true about the summers, short as they are. A big shop and lots of relatives who have the common sense to live where the sun shines is a necessity.<br /><br />There is a good reason why Oregon and Washington have a huge disproportionately low population percentage to continental land mass percentage.

Link

Rear Admiral

Ya gots to have a good sense of humor to live here!<br />OBJ: I was thinking of your post about your son moving out here when I got that email from one of my daughters in "mildew" Oregon :) <br /><br />How are they adapting??<br /><br />A conversation between Robby6950 and Boomyal.<br /><br />Robby6950: Hey Boomyal, remember last summer? Wasn't that great!<br /><br />Boomyal: Yes it was. What a Great day! <br /><br /> :D :D :D

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Link, you Lakewood Pierce Co.? Or Snohomish? If south, Im just across the water (sound) from ya, Steamboat Island area off 101. Totten/Eld inlets. Robby

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br /> Link, you Lakewood Pierce Co.? Or Snohomish? If south, Im just across the water (sound) from ya, Steamboat Island area off 101. Totten/Eld inlets. Robby
Small world Robby :) <br />Pierce County exit 125 on I5 North or South McChorde AFB exit. Steamboat Island area eh?<br />Was just there on Monday.<br />Went to loan a router to some friends who are finishing off a house they are building.<br />In 93 while working at Zittles marina I sold a Pontoon boat to a couple on Steamboat Island. Then later did some dock work for them.<br /><br />Do you know that passage between Johnsons Point and the port of Olympia has sank more small craft than the rest of the Puget Sound area combined!<br /><br />Link

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Link:<br />
. Steamboat Island area eh?<br />Was just there on Monday.<br />Link
Super small world.......Carlyon Beach. Anyone of 4 boats could be in the second big slip facing the water in summer.. 12 rowboat, 14 w'20 Johnson, 20 Bayliner 125 Force; or the "barge" 5000lb 24Bayliner..ya out floating someday, stop and say hi!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

They seem to be getting into it Link. We keep in touch and they been sending pictures of the area. They took a ride to a marina and took a load of pics. Beautiful area. Didn't give me the name of the marina. I'll find out and let ya' know.<br /><br />I was really impressed with the area when I was stationed up there. Made a trip to Reiner and the Space Needle a couple times. The only salt water fishing I ever done was up there. Freinds took me out several times...caught those god ugly, toothy Ling Cod??? Even went afrer Smelt. That's a trip....up to your butt in freezing water with a 20' dip net. All in all Link, I really enjoyed the area.

Link

Rear Admiral

Boomyal <br />
That'd all be funny, link, if I didn't live here. Especially all the parts about rain and clouds. <br /><br />Like I keep reminding my wife (who loves it),
ROFCOL (C)rying :) <br />We be in the same boat Boomyal! Mrs.Link has been here since 4 years old and has never lived anywhere else so doesn't know anything except grey skies and mist or rain! :( <br />When the sun does come out she enjoys it for awhile then says she can't wait to get back to normal! :eek: <br /><br />OBJ<br />Glad to hear that they are maybe adapting :) <br />This is the time of year for some of the weirdest but fun salmon fishing around here. Down (south) of here on the Hoods Canal the salmon start returning to a hatchery and they swarm by the thousands.(Hundreds at a time) The water looks like it is boiling when they get spooked! We anchore 100-150 feet off shore and cast towards shore. Use a slip weight with a corky and a peice of yarn so it floats up about 3 feet in 6 - 10 ft of water. You need a stiff pole and they don't strike.. so it takes some time to get used to a gentle tug when they just hold it thier mouth. There are usually 50-150 people fishing in waders from the bank side and maybe 5-15 boats off shore. But each time someone hooks one of them they spook and head out into deeper water and it really does churn the water up. Picture yourself smelt netting except they are the size of salmon! What a rush!<br /><br />Robby<br />NP and look forward to meeting you and yours next summer. Wifes family has a cabin on the west side (land locked side) of Stretch Island on the water. Pirates Cove. Nearest town is Purdy. Water wise from your place it is a hop skip and a splash away! :) <br /><br />Don't forget to put a IBOATS sticker on your boats!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Link, I'll have to get some stickers! And wanted to mention a "Narrows" post ( Tacoma Narrows bridge passage) that is very interesting over at Boat Topics/narrows/amish guy.. This guys first post ia amazing! (Stupid human trick!)

spratt

Lieutenant

Am over in teh Port Orchard town...moved here from South Carolina in 1985, and have become acclimated...went back on vacation a couple times to my beloved south, and nearly burnt up and dissolved into the ozone!!! Man, it never was that hot and humid when I lived down there!!! I remember the year summer fell on a weekend...what a great time we had :D

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> Port Orchard town...moved here from South Carolina in 1985, and have become acclimated...went back on vacation a couple times to my beloved south, and nearly burnt up and dissolved into the ozone!!! Man, it never was that hot and humid when I lived down there!!! :D
Chicago west suburbs 94 (sister/mom here already). I miss the great thunderstorms and Chi-Town pizza and people, but -20's and humidity that puts you on your knees suck. At least (so far) the "weather" has kept most of the assholes away (they tell me I snuck in just in time!) If it wasn't for the water and mountains I would be somewhere else!