Oxy-acetylene kit

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, how cheaply could I pick up a nice little oxy-acetylene kit for? Also, how much does gas cost usually? I just figure it would be nice to have a little kit for general use if I need it. Well, I kind of need it right now cuz I need to redo the exhaust on my car.

one more cast

Captain
Re: Oxy-acetylene kit

I would buy the little tanks (about $300) if your not going to use them alot,but make sure you buy them where you can get them filled. they are cheap to fill and you won't have that yearly lease. You can pick up an inexpensive touch set at sears. Also when refilling your tanks just swap them in for full ones instead of having your tanks filled and you will avoid a tank inspection fee.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMC is right. I have been in the AC business for 15 years and those kits are usually available in pawn shops for under 200 bucks. The exchange on the tanks is about 6 to 10 bucks each. Find a welding supply or air conditioning supply house that will do business with you. Some of them are picky about selling out of the trade. The larger of the two tanks is oxygen. It is usually green and is designated an "R" tank. The smaller of the two tanks is the actylene and it is called an "MC" tank. All of the regulators and hoses are smaller than the normal sized stuff but there are many adaptors available. Good luck.

SinisterAngel

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, I'm not a total newbie when it comes to welding since I actually took a 7 week class. My teacher kinda gets anal about calling cylinders tanks heh.

Homerr

Commander

I have two large tanks, and I simply exchange them too. Quick and easy.<br /><br />The Oxy was about $35 and the gas was about $45 the last time I did it.<br /><br />Pawn shops are a good place, but check the regulators carefully. Make sure they don't leak.<br />You'd be surprised how many are faulty.<br /><br />The tips aren't real cheap either, so you might get a real bargain if the kit comes with a bunch of tips, especially a cutting torch. <br />I'm always on the look-out for these things at yard sales in the summer.<br /><br />H.