oxidation removal/and wax

kiw0n2

Seaman Apprentice
whats is the best way to remove the oxidation from my boat and what is the best wax to use after i remove the oxidation.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: oxidation removal/and wax

Depending on how bad the oxidation is, I would start by washing the boat first then using a light to medium grit rubbing compound with a buffer... As for rubbing compound and wax nobody beats 3M products... Meguiers also makes very fine products.. For buffing you might want to pay a detailer to do it for you.. It can get pretty messy, and you can burn through paint or gelcoat with the machine if your not careful... My 2cents worth...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

3M hull restorer and wax. About $10 per bottle but worth every penny.<br /><br />Bob

procraftmark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bob where do you find the 3m hull restorer?<br /><br />thnx,<br />mark

Scaughty

Recruit

3M Hull restorer can be found in any local Marina, however, I have also found it at Wal-Mart in a marine section, only about $8-10. Check it out, its always cheaper at Wal-Mart<br /><br />Scott :cool:

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Faded fiber glass, dulled dark color?? Use Marine Pentrol and save all the hard work. Under $10.00, no sanding, compounding or buffing...............let me know what you think

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

We have a trashy little walmart here with about 4 feet devoted to boating :( <br /><br />I normally get my 3M Hull Restorer and Wax (comes in one bottle) at NAPA.<br /><br />MrBill The Marine Pentrol sounds interesting did a search on-line could not find it? Where can I get some to try?<br /><br />Bob

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The best product I've found is pro-tec. I have a burgundy boat that sat in three hot Texas summers and it looked like crap. Faded everywhere. After two coats of the pro-tec Nu-Finish and two coats of their sealant she looks great. My dealer couldn't believe it was the same boat he checked out months ago. I don't have any stock or interest in the company,I'm just telling you what worked for me. I'll put another coat on before long just to keep her shiny this winter. It goes on and comes off very easily. Just follow the directions and your good to go. It cost about $20 for both bottles. It's at www.protechleisure.com.<br /><br />Dutch

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob, try a search for Marine Penetrol...Mr. bill left out an "e" I believe,<br /><br />Rich

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes....as noted I missed an "e" in Penetrol. It comes in two varieties Marine and regular. The regular variety is available wherever paint is sold. Marine Penetrol has a higher percentage of petroleum distillate. I buy it at BoatUS stores for $8.99 per quart, but virtually every marine dealer sells it, and some WalMarts. I call it the "wonder product" for old faded boats. Try some, you'll like it...manufactured by the Flood Company, I believe.