Owning a boat

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I been taking friends out fishing for a month now.I paid for the gas in my truck and gas in the boat.The other guys paid for the ramp and sometime i might paid for the bait.The money is not a really big deal because if i going fishing i will go anyway.But when i find the front of the boat with bait and all
*hitted up that is just the topping on the cake.After the bait sit in the hot sun a powerwasher won't ever take it off.I was raise to have respect for other people stuff and clean up my mess.One guy is my boss and he pretty good but my brother in law and son are the worst.Any suggestion?:mad:

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Owning a boat

A couple of things:

1. Boating fishing aint cheap. Everyone you take out regularly should be contributing financially. A good way to handle this is to simply tell your partners that you all will split the cost of fuel, bait, ice, etc equally.

2. As for boat cleanliness, one strategy would be to tell them everyone helps clean the boat after a trip. I dont personally do this as I am a perfectionist when it comes to cleaning my boat and would rather do it myself.

Whatever you decide, you have to remember as the boat owner, you are the CAPTAIN and you set the rules, don't let people walk on you.

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Owning a boat

Funny how people seem to not notice how much you spend filling up the boat/truck or on all the tackle that they are using. I have a reminder plaque near the helm that reads "this boat runs on gas not thanks" although most of the time well meant thanks is all a guy really needs, gas money is nice too.

On the way in I usually request that my guests help pick up the mess and place it in the trashbags that are always carried on the boat. Come to think of it I seem to tell people about the trash bags before we launch as well. After haul out I try to wipe things down as well as can be expected prior to departure. This usually aids in a little help from those who want to get home in a timely manner....:D