OVERWEIGHT

Mucka29

Petty Officer 3rd Class
MINIVANS, CARAVANS, AND SMALL CARS ARE NOT RATED TO HAUL A TRAILER OVER 800 POUNDS UR WILL BE OVER UR REGISTRATION, IN MAINE IT'S 10 BUCKS A POUND OVERWEIGHT, MANY HAPPY BOATERS WENT HOME MAD AND OVERWEIGHT

ISkiH2O

Seaman Apprentice
Re: OVERWEIGHT

Many cars and minivans are rated at 2000 lbs and higher. The fine also sounds steep, many people posting on these boards claim to tow several hundred pounds over.<br />Would quickly pay for a used truck.

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

alot of small vechicles have a higher tow rating than that (my wifes 4 cyl. automatic Chevy tracker is rated for 1000 # (1500 if it was a manual).<br /><br /> I do agree with your LINE of thinking, a bigger vechicle is better than being overweight (fine or no fine).

jonbrush

Cadet

FWIW,our 97 Dodge Grand Caravan is rated at 3500 lbs when equipped with the tow package (bigger radiator, tran cooler, etc) and IIRC 2000 lbs when not so equipped. That said, I think 2000 lbs is actually more realistic if towing any distance.<br />Jon

BJM

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My Montanna is rated for 3500 lbs. I think most vans are. The weight rating is a combination of things. For stopping power more weight is bad obviously. I towed about 4000 lbs of gravel in a low trailer and it was really easy on the van. My ~2800 boat with its frontal area is way harder on it than the gravel was.<br /><br />You could make up a sail that weighed 100 pounds that would burn out your transmission if you wanted to.<br /><br />Balance your load properly, don't kill the thing with speed if its built like a sail. Allow plenty of room to stop heavy loads and you will be fine.

bolted4

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2002 Pontiac Montana which has 3500# but!!!!!! I know it is SUPPOSE to have its own brakes if over 1500# or was it 1000# anyways. Read your manual very carefully. My S-10 pickup had the same rating. It may say 3500 but there is always a catch!!!<br /><br />To Dodge Caravan owners change your transmission fluid ALOT if you want to own your van for more than 45,000 miles. I know from experiance.

T S N

Seaman Apprentice

My 1997 S10 manual claims a 5000# trailer rating but I like living. Its not just power to go and brakes to stop, you also need to be able to avoid problems and control the trailer.One word THINK!!!!

Bondo

Staff member

If you are Registered for Less than your equipment can Gross, It's your Own Fault......<br />The REGISTERED Weight Limit has Little to do with the GVW Limit.....<br />If you licence for All the rig CAN Weigh, You'll go home Happy....<br /><br />BTW, Loose the Cap-Lock..... <br />You Don't have to SHOUT !!!!!!!!!!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The weight restritions are for the safty of you and the rest of us sharing the road with you. You will trash your vehicle as well as put everyone in danger if you exceed the limits of the vehicle. Better to be safe that hurt anyone.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I've found on some of my vehicles, the rating was higher than I'd tow with that particular vehicle. I don't remember what my Wrangler was rated for, but it got dicey if I got anywhere near it's limits. Bought and F150. Now it's all good.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Wow. You're right. My bad. I saw it was active today and didn't even look at the original post date.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

6 year old post

Only 6 years?
toothlessgiggler.gif

What was I doing 6 yrs ago....................

hmmm...

Huron Angler

Admiral

I wonder if Bond-O convinced that guy to stop posting in caps...that's the real question.:D

Bondo

Staff member

What was I doing 6 yrs ago....................

hmmm...

Ayuh,.... I guess I was here posting...

The guy only Cap-locked on this 1 post of his 87,... He hasn't been back since Nov. 16th 03...

Huron Angler

Admiral

Ayuh,.... I guess I was here posting...

The guy only Cap-locked on this 1 post of his 87,... He hasn't been back since Nov. 16th 03...

Bond-o good work...you must have convinced him...probably put tape over the caps lock and shift buttons out of fear for the wrath of Bond-o:D:D:D