Overweight

bobcj84

Cadet
Gentlemen Please Help.
I just purchased a 1973 Evinrude 18 hp with a long shaft and electric start. The seller drained the lower unit fluid strapped it to a regular size pallet and shipped with ABF. I told them the motor weighed between 85 and 90 pounds. They said a standard pallet weighs about 25 pounds hence a qoute based on 110 to 115 pounds. Now they are raising my rate $130.00 additional because they say the total was 165 pounds. Can anyone please tell me the approximate weight of this motor? Thanks

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Overweight

Those ran between 85 and 95 pounds depending on shaft length and equipment. Yours would be the heaviest version.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I think they managed to get some of the forklift on their scales when they weighed it. Pay the freight, but make them weigh it in front of you when you pick it up. Long shaft and electric start will add about 10 pounds or so, motor weighs 85-85, pallet 25 lbs....their math is fuzzy. If it weighs in less than they quoted, insist on an adjustment.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

like tmcalavy said, it's easy enough just to pay the freight and ask them to verify the weight when you receive it.

The first thought I had was that they either have a minimum weight for the shipping method you used, or they use some sort of weight/volume formula (called something like "cube weight"?). But I wouldn't think that would affect something as dense as an outboard.

I'd just call ask them the question - why is their weight so different than your estimate?