oversize motor?

bigrussie

Recruit
I just bought a 2003 Bennington 25' with a 135hp Eninrude on it. However, the specs that a 115hp is max. Just wondering is all. Looks like the 135 is about 100lbs heaver than the 115.
Any comments ?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: oversize motor?

If by "specs" you mean the plate that lists the maximum HP allowed on that boat I think you have a problem. I would get a 115 and put it on there before the coast guard or other officials inspect your vessel and issue a citation.

tudunka

Cadet

When I purchased my toon, it was rated at 115hp max, but I knew it could take more since it was a tri-toon, so when I called the manufacturer they said I was correct and they sent me a new tag. With this said, I have been boarded several times for fishing and never once did they look at my engine rating.

Now, a over powered boat is dangerous, but 20hps is not a lot too me for such a large toon. I would definitely contact your manufacturer, I have found mine always happy to assist.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just bought a 2003 Bennington 25' with a 135hp Eninrude on it. However, the specs that a 115hp is max. Just wondering is all. Looks like the 135 is about 100lbs heaver than the 115.
Any comments ?

I think the last thing that you need to worry about is the Coastguard, I would worry about the Insurance if you have an accident and they find out that you have to large a motor on your boat. I would then be concerned about any warranty on the boat by Bennington with an overated motor.

I know it's only 15hp over, but it's still over. call Bennington and ask them what they think, then check with your ins. company, better safe than sorry.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I agree that you need to contact Bennington. The last thing you want is a structural issue (or worse, an accident) that gets you into trouble because the boat was overpowered. You might PM 5150abf for some particular insight as he works for Bennington. Maybe he can tell you whom to ask what. Welcome aboard.:cool:

5150abf

Vice Admiral

On it, I normally get back to R&D a few times a day and I will ask the head guy what he thinks and what can be done here but if the tag says 115 it is legally 115 and I am sure we aren't going to give anyone a pass fo robvious legal reasons but I will check.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

As I thought, the official position is the boat is over powered so all the things that go along with that apply, if something fails we can't be held responsible because it is over powered ect ect.

Now me speaking as civilian on a boating forum with no affiliation to any company thinks, it is 20 horsepower so I think you are fine and you should never have any problems with it except the obvious legal stuff everyone has pointed out but from a structural standpoint it is fine.

The main difference between a 115 or smaller rating and 150 or higher rating is the number of crossmembers in the back holding the pan on the boat, the pan itself is the same, so your call on what to do but I really highly doubt the small over power will ever hurt the boat at all, again my personnal opinion

bigrussie

Recruit

Thanks for all your help.
I am not sure what the actual capacity plate says, I was going by the specs online. I have heard that Bennington will issue a new cap. plate sometimes if they feel it is safe. The boat is covered in snow right now in Nebraska where I bought it. I live in Colo and will go check the capacity plate myself when it melts.
My insurance company asked if I had an oversize motor and I told them it was the motor on the boat when I bought it and it was previously registered in Colo.
I will be putting the boat in Lake Granby, CO and I understand all launch sites will check each boat for safety equipment, registration, unwanted weeds, zebra mussels etc. Not sure they check engine size but I will do the right thing before I get to that point. Thanks again. I will let you know.
Bigrussie.