Overpriced?

jofish

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at 97 Sea-Pro 190 WA 1996 Evinrude112 Venture bunk trailer boat ran great, compression was good lower unit oil was fine, tach did not work right and the center roller on the trailer (bunk with two 12" center rollers) was shot and the bunk boards needed to be replaced. No damage to the hull from broken roller(yet). Asking price was 8000.00, 2500.00 over NADA average retail. I made a offer based on the great condition of the boat 1200.00 less than the asking price and was told (I will keep the boat before I sell it for that) so I thanked him for his time and moved on. Question if a boat is in pristine condition what is resonable when looking at used boats?

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Overpriced?

I would think that if that boat was/is in "pristine" condition, then a price that is at, or slightly below "average retail" would be a pretty good bargain!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they guy is nuts!!!, 12 yr old hull, 13 yr old motor. trailer condition shows neglect.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Two things I've found when buying/selling anything...

1. Everyone thinks their stuff is worth more than it is.

2. It's only worth what someone will pay for it.

jofish

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, my thoughts exactly. While it was a clean boat just couldn't bring myself to get close to asking price and after a 24 hour cool down I am glad he didn't accept my offer just gonna keep looking....J

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to clarify.....

I wasn't talking specifically about this boat......
I thought the questions was: "what would be a good price range for a boat in "Pristine" condition..."

And I would still say, that it you can get a boat in "pristine" condition.....a price around "average wholesale" would be pretty good.

(Whoops.....may have indicated "average retail"......
I meant average wholesale.....like what a "dealer" would give you for a trade-in.....a price around that or below would be good, I thinK??)

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I understand a price being not worth it. I have an old truck people stop me and ask me about buying all the time. Wholesale or retain are no where near what its worth to me. Even if the damn things dies sitting in my driveway, and I need to pay to have it towed away to a salvage yard, its not worth selling to me. Some people don't understand that. I don't use it, and could have their blue book offer money in the pocket -- life is about more than money though.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Duh, good point. He did go through the trouble of listing it. With my truck, people come to me, so its not apples to apples.

With the cheap options to list, say on Craig's list, I wonder if more people do kind of like the put the for sale by owner home sign in the front yard just to see what happens -- test the market so to speak?