Overpowered: 150 tower on 16' SS

SKDave

Seaman Apprentice
Recently bought a 16' SS with a merc 1500 on it. I know it's too much engine but I got a good price for my area. Engine needs some work so I haven't had it on the water yet.

Anyone out there ever ran a 16' with this much power?

Oh, the transom and floor are solid.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Overpowered: 150 tower on 16' SS

I know my 84 16ss is only rated for up to 90hp. I've seen people put 90hp 2 strokes on 14' boats, despite it being dangerous. I would think a Tower of Power on a 16' aluminum boat would qualify for "Dangerous". Its possible you can damage the transom, if not tear the transom off.
I'm thinking of getting a new 4 stroke to replace my 70 hp sea horse. You have to consider the weight of the motor, before Horse Power.

Personally I wouldn't even take it on the water, and consider anyone who did, a fool. I'm no expert but I'm sure the person(s) who put the Transportation Department sticker on my boat, stating 90hp max rating, were experts.

SKDave

Seaman Apprentice

I ask you sir, what are the weight differences between a 90 and a 150 2 stroke. Merc to merc. Same year?

dozerII

Admiral

I ask you sir, what are the weight differences between a 90 and a 150 2 stroke. Merc to merc. Same year?

Hey Dave glad you got the SS, the weight difference is not the issue, it is probably only 50-80lbs heavier. It's the torque it can put on the transom wood and aluminum skin. You are almost at double the rated horse power.