overpower and inflatable

mikeya4

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
I have a 9' with alu floor and inflatable V keel, I put a 6hp chrysler engine on which was ok, it planed with just me but wouldn't with anymore weight, I made the mistake of thinking foils and other things would help but I think im just underpowered, its rated for 10hp, ive just won a chrysler 15hp on ebay, do you think this will be ok? Im sure I read somewhere of people putting 15's on a 10 rated boat without too much trouble, on the spec lists the 15 weighs about 12lbs more than my 6hp, anyone have any advice, I just want it to plane with 3 adults,
thanks

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: overpower and inflatable

it will be perfect, I run a 30hp suzuki modified motor on a 8,5 inflatable ......

05082007146.jpg

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Most states have now made it illegal to exceed the Coast Guard plate recommended hp. You will also be held liable in any accident.

mikeya4

Seaman Apprentice

Im in england ;)
Im sure I read it right that between the 10hp and the 15hp chrysler its only the rpms that make the power, so the tq, weight and strain on the transform will be the same? plus its a 2 stroke so should be lighter than a 4 stroke, don't know if my recommend plate was based on a 4 or 2 stroke,
cheers

mikeya4

Seaman Apprentice

deejaycee, do you have any pics or video clips of yours in motion?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

And I am in South Africa where anything goes ... happy days .....

I can push 47 mph with this hog ..... it really does fly, but very unstable hahaha, one wrong move and it flips .....

IMG_7084.jpg

mikeya4

Seaman Apprentice

thats briliant :D, can't wait for my engine to turn up. how fast do you guess mine would go with the 15?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

i would say 30mph max, my little boat was slightly modified .....

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 10'2" Zodiac Yachtline with the older aluminum V hull that was rated for 15; I just went ahead and stuck a 25 hp mercury 2stroke on it and it was perfect. A friend had some kind of custom racing prop that fit on it and we tried it one day. One man, one 3 gallon fuel tank, one hand-held gps and a windless ripple free morning on the bay and it topped out at 56 MPH. We each took a spin in it and we each had to pry our butt holes off of the bottom of the boat because the pucker factor was so puckering. But with the old dinged up factory prop that we ran on it 40 was about the best and it was more than enough.

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in Ca and I just called the USCG to see if there was a maximum hp allowed on boats and if they cited for such things, they told me NO.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The Coast Guard is a Federal agency and there is no Federal statute for them to enforce. However, many states now have specific laws on the books about exceeding the recommendation of the USCG plate. So, depending on the state, you may or may not receive a citation for exceeding hp when stopped by, state, county or municipal law enforcement.

Liability wise....You are dead meat, in any court, in any state, if there is an accident, due to contributory liability based on exceeding the recommended hp plate. Your boat can be moored and you will still be considered partially responsible if a drunk on a jet ski rams you. It's not fair...It just is.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Liability wise....You are dead meat, in any court, in any state, if there is an accident, due to contributory liability based on exceeding the recommended hp plate. Your boat can be moored and you will still be considered partially responsible if a drunk on a jet ski rams you. It's not fair...It just is.

It is just a part of life, fair or unfair.

If there is an accident, and two cars are involved. One, a Lamborghini driven by a middle aged man, and the other Chevy Impala driven by a older woman. Even if the Impala was totally at fault, the news media will sight the highest possible top speed of the Lamborghini in it's report of the accident, even if it was going under the speed limit.

We as a society, love to pick on those that have something that is deemed outside the norm. There was a time when anything over 20MPH, on or off the water, was considered dangerous beyond belief. :eek:

In Germany the insurance companies have been trying for the last several years to categorize all recreational activities, and sports (Bicycling, Skiing, Swimming, Horseback Ridding, Boating, Fishing, etc.), as being dangerous, and not part of a normal persons life, therefore not being included in normal insurance coverage. You should be required by law to have to take out a special “Dangerous/Extreme Sports Policy” if you enjoy any outdoor activities. :mad:

The big surprise is that many older people (Germany has a very old average population) that no longer leave their apartments or living room loungers, think this is a great idea. :mad:

They (the insurance companies) pay heavily for government lobbyist to push for such changes, and the news media love to sensationalize even the smallest of accidents involving anything even a little out of the norm. The courts are starting to bow to pressure and to side with them in their fights not to pay in any sporting accidents. :mad: A general attitude of punishing anyone who does something I don't, or can no longer do, prevails.

Sooner or latter it will also happen in the States (if it hasn't already).

America is also getting old, the baby boomer's are all retiring at once, and many have changed their lifestyles, shifting down a gear or two. They have more free time, and many no longer spend this time as they did, or would have, when they were younger. They expect all people, to now do as they do. This way of thinking plays right into the insurance companies hands. :mad:

I see it with my own Father, he always drove “Sports Cars” & was a very spirited driver, now that he can no longer do so, he complains on the highway about every car that passes him as being dangerous, and the speeding drivers should be severely punished & lose their drivers licenses. This is in spite of the fact, that he is snailing along at 45 or 50 in a 70MPH zone. :mad:

stonne

Recruit

We have a 4.8 meter with a 90hp 2stoke Mariner. Tops out at 54mph with just me in it, 100L of fuel + sundry other gear. But it will get a bit of chine wobble. I say more power and wear a life jacket!!

Don't follow my stupid advice but.. :) a tough just poped into my head.

Remove the 25 HP sticker and replace with a 10 HP sticker :)

AGAIN IT'S JUST MY STUPID THOUGH.

Would they be able to tell the difference?

nova_gts

Seaman

Don't follow my stupid advice but.. :) a tough just poped into my head.

Remove the 25 HP sticker and replace with a 10 HP sticker :)

AGAIN IT'S JUST MY STUPID THOUGH.

Would they be able to tell the difference?

I was thinking the same thing, a 25 might be a little too big, proly would go somewhere in the 15-20 (anywhere inbetween) range. I doubt they will look into it unless it looks too big for the sticket or u use white out on the old one and write 10 with sharpie.