overheating....?

RyBisp

Cadet
a friend has a OMC I/O and the engine is over heating. Its pumping some water out but not much. What is a couple quck things we can do to trouble shoot before breaking it down? Thanks in Advace.

Rabbitdawghunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: overheating....?

If its not pumping much water you probably just made your own diagnosis. The water pump is the most frequent culprit of overheating.

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

An easy way to check the impeller pump is><br />Make sure the engine has cooled down about an hour.<br />If it's out of the water have muffs on the outdrive, remove the hose comeing from the outdrive on the engine. start the engine and see how much water it's pumping at an IDLE ( don't run it long,no more then a minute) ! It should have a good healthy stream of water coming out of the hose, should shoot out over 6 in's or so. If thats ok, I'd start looking at the thermastat next.

King P.V.

Seaman

Let's see!! Hummm, I'm gunna hook-up city water pressure to check my water pump pressure/ouput!! Close, but no banana! Try, "Back the motor into the lake OR a test tank...., then, check for proper water pump output".

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

It does sound like you don't have enough water being pumped through the engine. What engine and drive? Small engine can mean small amount of water, big engine will mean a whole lot more. I think we are assuming it’s an open cooling system. Has this been creeping up on him or has it happened all of a sudden? If he doesn’t know the last time the water pump was serviced than I would start there. You can test it but if you don't know the amount of water it 'should' be pumping than your fumbling in the dark a bit. I would set up a test drum and lower the drive into it, loosen the pipe from the pump to the engine and start it up, remove the pipe from the engine and you should have a strong stream of water from the pump. Go from there, if it seems plenty than repeat the test at each point along the way until you find the source of the restriction. May just be a faulty thermostat but I would start at the pump and work your way through the whole system. Scale and rust buildup can sneak up on you and than one day you have an engine that’s over heating! Don’t run the engine to long without water, 10 to 15 seconds should be plenty long enough for each test to gauge the flow and determine if there is restriction at any point or not. If the pump turns out to be not delivering a strong flow of water than work back from there, check the fittings for scale and rust, does it run through an oil cooler first before it gets to the pump? If so by pass the cooler and try it again. If that checks out than rig up a hose direct from the suction side of the pump to the test drum. If you get good flow from doing that than it’s likely the leg is the problem. If that’s the case than you should be right with the advise that will flow your way from this forum from there. Good luck!

markvictor

Seaman

Don't forget to check the manifolds and risers for port restrictions...a VERY common cause of overheating...