Overheating Volvo Penta 230

Brysinsky

Cadet
I recently Bought my first Boat. Its a Bayliner Mutiny with a Volvo Penta 230. I have been working out the bugs (alternator, Ignition, outdrive linkage etc..)I put it in the water the other day and it started to over heat, 250 degrees<br />Its freshwater cooled. I checked the primary (saltwater) pump, it works. I took apart the heat exchanger and it was fine and I locked the thermostat open and ran it with earmuffs. Still over heating. The only thing left is the freshwater pump. How do I test it?<br />Any Ideas would be appreciated.<br />Thanks!

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Overheating Volvo Penta 230

Overheating can be caused by many problems and would be very lengthly to get into here. I would be happy to discuss these possibilities with you if you would like to call me at <br />1-800-949-2189

Brysinsky

Cadet

Thanks G Dane, My engine is gas but some of the info might be usefull. I had no idea there was so much involved. I'll give Gene a call

Brysinsky

Cadet

I checked both pumps and the heat exchanger and they seem to be fine, The thermostat opened when I dipped it in hot water so I assume its working it isn't sealing perfectly but should at least cycle when in the engine. Can some one tell me where the "risers" are located and how to check them?<br />thanks guys!

russthemuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How do ya know its overheating? The gauge tell you? Your thermostat must close as it controls the flow of water around d block.ie if it sticks open water takes the easiest path around the block, dosent 'absorb' any heat and you get a hot spot in the engine.If your temp sender is at the hot spot you reading overheat.Temp sender at the gooseneck or back of block?<br />The water system must seal like a car,so check the radiator cap etc etc<br />Get your hands on a Rayjek heat gun and save yourself alot of time.Good for checking the risers as well.Just follow the exhaust from the head back,ya come to d risers(yes they rise up)Should have a water fitting there somewhere.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Make sure it is hot if it gets to 250 should be easy to tell if it is that hot. Should run 150 to 170. Since it is fresh water cooled make sure engine is full of coolent. Make sure engine water pump is turning and belt is tight. I suspect you will find manifold outlet plugged up or riser plugged up. Easy way to tell is to remove hose that go from heat exchanger to exhaust manifold hook a logner hose to heat exchanger and run over side start engine and make sure water is flowing out. If it is engine should cool down fast. May want to plug hose to manifold. When you do this remember exhaust manifold gets no cooling so can not run it too long but long enough to see if engine temp is coming down. Be carefull water will be hot at first. If it does cool down then manifold or riser probably plugged on both sides.<br />Manifold last 4 to 6 years in salt water if you flush. If manifold is pluged with rust and scale you can clean it out but remember that if manifold rust thru where water leaks into exhaust it will run back to exhaust valves and rust them or worse run into cylinder when stopped then when you try to start engine on compression stroke engine will freeze up and you will bend rod, as you can not compress water.

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

None of the 4 cyl Volvo overhead cam engines have risers. It is a one piece manifold. Items to check: (1) thermostat (2) front brass sea water pump (3) stopped up oil cooler if applicable (4) check water pick up connector below u-joint boot. This can be your most logical problem. Pickup could be corroded and you would be sucking air instead of water. This is the problem about 75% of the time. (5) Hook a flushette to outdrive. Get a 3/8's tappered rubber water plug. Plug up bottom hole in outdrive. This increases water going to engine.<br />If these suggestions do not solve your problem give me a call at 1-800-949-2189. Gene

Brysinsky

Cadet

Wow! Thanks for all the responses, You guys have given me alot to think about. I will tinker & test and let you know what I find.<br />BTW Gene, I called your number and left a message I'll call again during the week if I have time. Not sure what the time difference is though.<br /><br />Thanks again guys this place is great!!

ricks003

Cadet

i have the same engine in my 93 glastron, volvo 230, and while cruising at 3/4 throttle the temp. reads 220 and when going full speed reads about 245. i just bought the boat so i am a little concerned, after talking to people they have told me to try a new impeller in the water pump, which i have ordered, but one of the responses i seen posted said that the altenator might be putting out high voltage at full speed (14.4 volts) which makes sense and would cause the temp gauge to read high, if you find out the cause of your overheating please let me know. i have had the boat cruising for about 2 hours straight with the temp reading high with no problems, so i dont believe it is overheating but i would like to see the gauge reading normal

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Ricks003<br />You need to find out if gauge or overheating. Water boils at 212 degrees, saltwater a little higher but at 245 you would have all kinds of steam coming out. Engine should not run over 180 if ever go into salt water as it causes too many deposites. NASCAR ENGINES usually do not make 500 miles in a race if water go over 240 degrees. A marine engine would boil and force all the water out and only cooling you would have would be from steam.

agosnell

Recruit

Bryzinsky - I just bought a used boat with a Penta 230. It runs great. It has become real hard to cold start recently. Have you had the same experience? Would like to share notes and learn what you have learned. You can e-mail me at gosnella@att.net. Thanks