Overheating - Strange Issue.

Anthony79

Recruit
Good afternoon,
I have a Regal Commodore 2665 with a Volvo Penta 280, I keep my boat in the water - wet slip. I started it up two weeks ago at the dock and it alarmed within the first 10 min (it was running pretty hot.) I figured it was the water pump so I hooked the hose up to the rear water port, turned on the water. I started it right up so I ran it for an hour, no alarm, and the heat was pretty low, ran great! I went back today to run it again (on the hose) while cleaning it to charge the batteries and just run it for a bit. I could not get it to start up, I hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key (1/2) turn. I looked in the bilge and I see water coming out of the cranks in the front by the serpentine belt, I have the hose hooked up and on so there's a solid water pressure coming into the engine but I have no idea why water is coming out of the front. I turned the hose off and let it sit for an hour or so, now I hear water dripping in the bilge at a pretty decent rate, and the bilge pump kicks on every 45 min to an hour, It's suddenly taking on water. I did an emergency haul-out but I'm scratching my head! What the hell happened. any insight would be great.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Stick your head in the bilge and look. When you overheated, it was probably the raw water pump.