Overheating issue II

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1983 carver 28' with twin marine power 350's, v-drives here is the coolant flow diagram
coolant_diagram.jpg

I disconeted the hose going to riser while the engine was idoling (as marked by the arrow on the drawing) I would have expected water to have been comming out of the hose, however water was shooting out the connector on the riser. I checked the routing of all the hoses, all ok. i did notice that it looks like there is only 1 gasket between the riser and the manifold, where this drawing shows there should be 2 gaskets with a stainless plate in between. Does any know if there is a single gasket that takes the place of that stainless plate? would this cause water to come out of the riser?

the issue the motor has is it will run at 160-180 at idol or up to about 1200rpm, at 1400 it will increase to about 200, any higher rpm than that and it will keep climping. I think i have all the info yall will need here! thanks!

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Overheating issue II

Well i just saw on osco's website that the do make a single blocked gasket for thos manafolds! so thats prob not it!

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this ones a stumper eh! i know its stumping me! 17 views and no replys!

nola mike

Vice Admiral

not familiar with your system, but looks similar to mine. how long did water shoot out of the riser? since there isn't another water supply to it, it may have been full. yes, water should be coming from the hose. what happens when you disconnect the hose from the other riser? is only 1 motor overheating?

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

today I removed all the hoses following the riser to the strn to makes sure there was no blockage, and there wasnt, I backflushed the heatexchanger, seamed to have good flow on the salt side, didnt do the coolant side. flushed water through the risers, good flow on both. then removed both riser water hoses on at a time and started the motor, had good flow on both. I removed the thermistat, she is running a little cooler now but still comes up with over 1400 rpms. I can see good coolant flow in the heatexchanger if i have the cap off. What else could it be?

oh and i am running on only one motor, but im not trying to go over hull speed, so i dont think i am pushing that motor to hard. I haven't even got to start to raise the bow.

hopefully someone will have an idea i havn't though of!

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh and i am running on only one motor, but I'm not trying to go over hull speed, so i dont think i am pushing that motor to hard. I haven't even got to start to raise the bow.

One motor is blown, i will be replacing it soon, however both motors are completely independent of each other, they share only 12v dc! separate sea cocks to exhaust

nola mike

Vice Admiral

oh and i am running on only one motor, but I'm not trying to go over hull speed, so i dont think i am pushing that motor to hard. I haven't even got to start to raise the bow.

One motor is blown, i will be replacing it soon, however both motors are completely independent of each other, they share only 12v dc! separate sea cocks to exhaust

oh, ok--i'm used to looking at my 4 cyl diagram with only one riser; i thought that was supplying both engines. be nice if the other engine was working so you could swap the sea water output hoses from the exchanger. that obviously won't work if the raw water pumps are engine driven...

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This problem is like the pirate with a steering wheel stuck in his crotch!

ARRRRRG ITS DRIVIN ME NUTS! :eek:

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

turns out is was a clog in the vdrive, I backflushed the v drive and stays at about 170 now!