overheatin'

geaz

Cadet
i have a 8 hp mariner short shaft(mariner 8m677, S 034975) that i got last year and it had some minor repairs done and was running good but i never actually put it on the boat last summer after the repairs. i used it for the first time and it started right away and ran great for a couple hours then seamed like it was over heating it was too hot to touch and after a while would just stall and would not start. after it cooled down a while, it would start again but with the same problem. would run longer if not at WOT but would still eventually stall, just not as soon. it seams as though it getting enough water but how much should be coming out? when i touched it it was too hot to touch for more than a second. and might someone know the year?<br /><br />ideas?<br /><br />thanks<br />geaz

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: overheatin'

Gruvster,<br /><br />Remove the thermostat and check that you have plenty of water coming from the thermostat hole. Then check the water pump impeller, also blow air up the water tube to make sure it's not blocked.<br /><br />The year of your engine is somewhere between 1977 and 1983. Mariners in that era were not sold by year.<br /><br />Directly for the book of serial numbers...<br />
This is a combination model year and calendar year chart. Mariner engines produced from 1974 to 1987 did not carry a model year designation. Mariner dealers had been directed to sell Mariner engines by feature rather than by model year. Engines produced one year and sold the next year were considered current engines of the year sold.
Chris.........

boltbreaker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sometimes you can run a little piece of wire up in the pee hole and it will start flowing again good. Keep us posted!

geaz

Cadet

thanks guys,<br />i'll check it out <br /><br />geaz

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

after sitting like that just replace the water pump assy. some of the 8 hp motors did not have a t-stat.<br /> do a compression test first. the reason why it shut off was the pistons expanded so much they siezed to the bore. at least you did not blow a head gasket. but there is NO auto overheat shut off.

geaz

Cadet

do older motors have a pee hole? on the 8 hp all i see is the hole that's about half way down the shaft that is pretty big and water doesn't flow out of it - more so spits and sprays from it, i thought the pee hole was refering to the small hole on newer model motors that sends a constant stream out of a hole that's about 1/4" round one. Am i wrong about this? i'va had all older motors so far (70's - 80's) that have the bigger holes and not the constant stream that i've seen that comes out of the notor closer towards the cover. whichever the way, how much water is supposed to come out of it?<br /><br />thanks geaz