Overcoming ICW Fear!

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
First of all, wife/I are in our early 60's and have only been boating 4 years with a year without a boat during that four years. Before then, when we were teens w/our families in Mich and Indiana. Had a 16' Bowrider for 2-1/2 years going two medium size reservoirs south of Denver, CO (fishing/relaxing) and for the last year/half going on the St Johns River here in a 20' Celebrity 200 cuddy cabin we bought in early 2009. We were shocked at the size and some of the shallow depths of this river (for being a big river). Of course, compared to two medium reservoirs, this river is huge! Now we have gotten interested on going onto the ICW at Vilano Ramp in St Augustine. We made a few trips there, without the boat, just to check things out. From maps we've looked at, the ICW (river) in the area of the ramp isn't very deep. Deepest part we could see was 26 feet at spots w/other spots at 14 feet and less and one area, right outside the ramp area is only 1 foot deep (sand bar).
We were suppose to go to that ICW yesterday AM, but basically "chickened out". A young guy (30 yrs old), who had already been out there, was going to go with us, but we called it off. How do we get away from this FEAR of the ICW???? We really do want to go out on it sometime!
Now, please remember, we are in our early 60's and aren't nearly as "adventurous" as we were back in our 30's and 40's!
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

FredGarvin

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Overcoming ICW Fear!

what exactly is it that you fear? Knowing that might help...

Is it shallowness/running aground? If this is the case, just stay in the channels. for extra care, get a GPS/plotter that has charts and stay out of anywhere that is shallow. I can understand this fear as it can be nerve-wracking at times in Florida waters, but don't let it stop you from going on the intracoastal. 14 feet is plenty deep...I have an 18 foot bowrider that I take scalloping on the gulf coast, and the waters there are 3-5 feet deep almost everywhere you can go scalloping...I "get" the sandbar part but as I said, stay in the channel and avoid anywhere that it marked as shallow.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a depth finder? Having a reliable one will help a lot.
Where the water depths are questionable, just go slow.
The ICW down there is mostly sand and mud, so there shouldn't be much concern with rocks.
Your boat only needs about 2 feet to float. If you touch bottom with the prop just tilt the outdrive up a bit and back her out.
BTW the 'maps' of the waterways are called charts.

Chuck1a

Seaman

Check around your area, I'm sure you could find somebody to go out with you for a quick trip to get a feel for the area. Plan your route and watch the weather.

robert graham

Admiral

The St. Johns River is for sure a lot better for just cruising around than the ICW, which can be a bit nerve-wracking with the traffic, salt water, depth changes due to tides, sand bars, etc. Take your wife for a couple of nights down to Palatka, Lake George,Silver Glen Springs, Astor, Hontoons, Sanford, lots to see and do.

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know exactly how you feel. Until last year all of my boating/fishing was done on a deep freshwater lake that averaged 80' deep. Then anytime I had less that 10' under my keel I was nervous. Fast forward a year and now I'm about as far up the Chesapeake as you can go with a boat. Not only that, but instead of my little 18' bow rider I now have a 24' cruiser that needs 3' of water to run in. Let me tell it's still a bit unnerving making that 3 mile run to deeper water on plane in 4-5' of water!

However, I had a few neighbors who took me out a few times and showed me the proper paths to run in. The first few they took me out, I kept waiting for the inevitable grounding. After riding around with neighbors and watching the locals run, I made my first venture out by myself. Man I'll bet you couldn't have pulled a greasy string between the cheeks! :D

Now with about a half dozen runs to deeper water under my belt, I'm starting to gain confidence in running through "shallow" water (relative to what I was used to running in).

Two things that helped me tremendously was being taken out with people who knew the local water and a depth sounder/fish finder. I measured the distance that the out drive hung down below the transducer and just to be extra safe added 6' to that number. Then I entered that number into my fish finder as my keep offset. Now when my fish finder shows that I'm in 2' of water, I know that I have 2.5 feet of clearance below my skeg on the stern drive. Little things, I know, but the really help if you aren't used to running shallow water.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the St. Johnson river has it's shallows, and deep water. the channel averages 40 feet, downtown has areas of 80 feet. the average depth of the river is 10 feet. once clear of the 300 ft manatee zone, you should have enough water. remember coming out of the creeks, you have to stay in the creek channel.

i strongly suggest you get charts of the river and ICW. a depth sounder with shallow water alarm. i do not use them as i have grown up on the river, and navigate it without charts.

you need to familarize yourself with ICW channel markers, they have a totally different system, as you are traveling north and south, instead of up river or down river.

to get use to the ICW, i suggest lauching at the Beach Blvd ramp. it is like launching into a creek. the ICW is narrow here and not overwhelming.

rwidman

Lieutenant

First of all, wife/I are in our early 60's and have only been boating 4 years with a year without a boat during that four years. Before then, when we were teens w/our families in Mich and Indiana. Had a 16' Bowrider for 2-1/2 years going two medium size reservoirs south of Denver, CO (fishing/relaxing) and for the last year/half going on the St Johns River here in a 20' Celebrity 200 cuddy cabin we bought in early 2009. We were shocked at the size and some of the shallow depths of this river (for being a big river). Of course, compared to two medium reservoirs, this river is huge! Now we have gotten interested on going onto the ICW at Vilano Ramp in St Augustine. We made a few trips there, without the boat, just to check things out. From maps we've looked at, the ICW (river) in the area of the ramp isn't very deep. Deepest part we could see was 26 feet at spots w/other spots at 14 feet and less and one area, right outside the ramp area is only 1 foot deep (sand bar).
We were suppose to go to that ICW yesterday AM, but basically "chickened out". A young guy (30 yrs old), who had already been out there, was going to go with us, but we called it off. How do we get away from this FEAR of the ICW???? We really do want to go out on it sometime!
Now, please remember, we are in our early 60's and aren't nearly as "adventurous" as we were back in our 30's and 40's!
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

The Atlantic ICW is nothing more than a bunch of rivers, creeks, bays, sounds, and a few man-made land cuts connecting them together.

If you equip your boat with a modern chart plotter with built in charts, you will know exactly where you are and the shallowest depth the water should be. I have experience with Garmin brand plotters. The best plan is to get one that includes a built in depth sounder or one of the "marine network" models that lets you add one.

Also, there are several criuising guides to the AICW that provide information on shallow areas, areas to visit, and general advice. Do a web search or just drop in to your local West Marine store and see what they have for your area. These make great reading for times when you can't be out on your boat.

http://www.waterwayguide.com/

http://cruisersnet.net/

5109SDWV5VL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Guid...r_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282588555&sr=1-5#_

I started boating on the Chesapeake Bay and then retired to Charleston, SC near the ICW. I can't imagine boating on a lake going around in circles. Even a large lake. From where you are located, only the size of you boat and your imagination are your limits. You can go to Miami, FL, you can go to Washington, DC, you can go to Maine. Even the Bahamas if you pick your days.

BTW: My "dream cruise" is down the ICW from Charleston to the St Johns River and then up the river to Monroe (and back, of course). I'm figuring about three weeks to do it all.

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer

FINALLY got on the ICW at the Halifax Harbor Marina at Daytona Beach last Sunday, the day before Memorial Day. Had a couple with us that had been on the ICW numerous times when they had a cuddy in Dry Storage there for a years. It was a holiday weekend and there was lots of boat traffic, but we made it up to the Ponce De Leon Lighthouse area. At that point, I let our friend take over the boat and he took us by the jetty and out into the Atlantic for a minute. The water by the jetty was pretty rough (high waves) and we got rocked around some of which wife and I really don't get into waves like that at all. It was an interesting trip, but way too rocky for us and we couldn't wait to get back into the smoother waters of the ICW. Gotta watch the speed signs for the Manatee's and sometimes the ICW markers are further apart than I like them to be. Was only out for a couple of hours, but that was enough for wife and I. It is easier navigating on the St John's river though where boats have more room to go (no red/green to follow inbetween). One thing for sure, not nearly as much to remember/watch for when going on a lake or reservoir than there is on the ICW! But, will go out on the ICW again sometime. Was fun, but rough water/high waves are scary to us!