Over rev

Yukonmuscle

Seaman
I have a 2010 bayliner 195 bowrider. 5.0l tks with a 162 ratio alpha drive. Stock prop is an aluminum 14.5" 19 pitch. Boat does 51 mph on gps but hits the rev limiter at 4950 before it can get wot. Yesterday I tried a stainless mirage 14.25" 21, top speed was again in low 50's but it wouldn't rev past 4100 rpm at wot and was a dog out of the hole. Why over a thousand rpm drop from 19-21 pitch? I was expecting maybe 400-500 rpm drop. Just trying to get my wot as close to 4900 as possible. All testing done with full fuel (135 liters) and 4 people on board

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Over rev

Stainless Mirage is simply much more aggressive and efficient than the stock aluminum prop is. This is very common, and is the very reason people switch to stainless props. They bite the water harder/better, and therefore will slow the RPMS down at the same speed. They slip less.

The math I would have predicted ahead of time is as follows: Add 1" pitch for presumed extra cupping & raking of the new prop compared to your factory prop. Add 1" pitch for switching aluminum to stainless. Add 2" of pitch because you went from a 19 to a 21.

So add all that together: I would have possibly expected, with the changes you made, it would act like the equivalent of adding nearly 4" of pitch...thus possibly a 600 to 800 rpm reduction.

Most planing boats will see a 200 to 300 RPM reduction by simply switching from run-of-the mill aluminum to a performance stainless prop of the same pitch. However, since you chose to go up in pitch at the same time you changed materials AND propeller design, it caused too great of a reduction in RPM for your application.

Can you exchange it? Or were you just test-driving it?

I believe if you want a stainless prop, you probably need a 19 pitch...maybe even will need to drop to an 18 if you are going real aggressive in cupping/rake. It all depends on design. Every make/model is different. Even in stainless, a 19 of one model will act VERY differently from a 19 of a different model or brand...

Yukonmuscle

Seaman

Fortunately I have a great prop shop to deal with and it was out on loan so I'm not out anything by trying this prop. My buddy had a brand new Michigan wheel aluminum on his boat as a spare and wouldnt you know it, 14.25" 21 pitch so I just put it on and will head out on the lake after dinner to give it a try. Def not as aggressive looking as the mirage, and slightly smaller looking blade then the factory 19p. Just by looking it seems like this one should spin up more then the mirage

Thanks for the in-depth reply, very I formative

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I'll predict you'll get about 4500 to 4600 with that aluminum 21. It will be interesting to see if I am in the ballpark or way off...theory is NOT always followed with predicted results. Please share your results.

Yukonmuscle

Seaman

Great application of the theory!!! Turned 4500 rpm, picked up 3 or 4 mph on the top end over the 2 previous props I tried. Decent hole shot as well. Not sure where to go next, im picky and would love to be able to pick up the last 400 rpm...... Any thoughts? You've been right on so far!

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

What is your priority? Holeshot or top speed?

Generically speaking, if you're looking toward a performance stainless prop, I think you'll need to be in the 18 or 19 pitch range. Should get you in the 4,550 to 4,900 range. Where in that range? VERY difficult to predict. Different brands and styles of props will run at substantailly different rpms...possibly vary as much as 300 or 400 in the same pitch, depending on their designs.

Since you have a good prop shop at your disposal that seems to allow you to test and dial in, then I certainly suggest you take advantage of that opportunity. A test-drive will ALWAYS be more accurate and definite than any guestimate anyone can provide based on theory...

AND, if you stumble across a great prop that handles well and you like, but is maybe turning only 4,700 or so...you can also consider buying that prop and then asking the prop shop to take 1" of pitch out of it...and obviuosly pay them for the service. If they're truly a good prop shop, they'll know how to do it, and then you'll have a custom-tuned prop for your particular boat and load. As a benefit, it will be rebalanced at the same time. You'd be shocked to know how many brand new out-of-the-box props are unbalanced right from the get-go....

I find it very unfortunate that so many manufacturers sell props in 2" increments. I too am a performance enthusiast and look for PERFECT specific RPM...being within a range is not good enough for me. In my last shopping experience for my personal boat I purchased 2 identical props, different only in pitch. The 21 ran at 4,800, and the 19 ran at 5,200. I really liked the props, but I wanted my motor to spin 5,000. This mfr didn't sell a 20. So I simply paid a prop shop to repitch my 21 prop to a 20...and then I sold the 19. And now my boat runs exactly 5,000 like I wanted.

So just keep in mind that out of the box isn't always the only alternative, or always the best alternative, if you are going to be very picky about an EXACT rpm target...

Yukonmuscle

Seaman

That's funny you answered that way. Yesterday I took the prop that I was over revving to the prop shop and asked them to modify the prop to take out 300-400 rpm and they said no problem. So I'll try that one next weekend. I too like to be dialed in perfectly as well. I think I'll wait till next year, when I have aluminum props set up correctly, to try dialing in a stainless prop. Thanks for the help. I'll post my results