over heating

t_bird

Cadet
what's up? my temp.I have a omc i/o cobra,5.0 ford,1990,I have replaced the impeller in the foot twice(recently),now I'm in to the top end of the engine and found 2 blown head gaskets.Is it posible I have a restriction in my foot? I know a merc drive has a tube that goes from the impeller up through the foot,which has a rubber groment on the end of it that you have to be careful not to crimp.Does the omc have something sim?

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: over heating

T-Bird, were one or both of the impellers you replaced bad? It's possible you blew the head gaskets the first time you ran hot. If one of the impellers was bad and caused the engine to run hot, then I'd replace the head gaskets and put it in the lake and test it carefully monitoring my engine temp.

t_bird

Cadet
Re: over heating

neg on the bad impeller. the reason I'm leaning toward a water restriction is I also installed a new thermostat and it ran even hotter so I took it back out. It was the that little bit of water restriction from the therm that made the difference. like it was not getting enough water