over heated outboard

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
is there anyway to fix a old overheated outboard can i like take it to a machine shop or something?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: over heated outboard

What engine is it? What happened to it? How long was it overheated? What happened?

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

the engine is a 1955 evinrude 7.5 HP and im not sure what happen i bought it for 40 bucks as is but the spark plug looked like it got hot on the top cylinder and now i think the cylinder and or the piston has worped out of shape and now the only way to make it move is to beat it down with a hammer the other piston is free and in good shape.

iwombat

Captain

If you haven't disassembled this motor yet (???), and one piston is moving while the other is staying still . . . that's a very bad thing.

It means you've probably got a broken rod or crank.

Can it be fixed? Probably - could be a lot of $$ though and it will certainly need some kind of machining. If you're aiming to fix it yourself, then start taking it apart. If you want to pay someone else to do it, you're better off finding another motor.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

the one piston will only move if the other one moves u just have to beat them with a hammer to get them to move.the one bottom piston is free you can tell but and only moves if you beat the other one down.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

First, Stop the beatings. Second, start tearing down the powerhead if you want to properly diagnose what your problem is. Once you know for sure, then decide if it is cost effective to fix OR if you should keep your eyes open for a used powerhead. I have two of these motors and they run great! I will let you know if I come across a loose powerhead or cylinder block.

PS iwombat is correct... if this is not a do it yourself deal you are better off parting it out for sale

wbeaton

Commander

There is almost nothing inside those old motors to replace. Take it apart and see what the problem is. At the very least, pop off the head and the exhaust cover and get a look at the cylinder wall and rings. If they are in tough shape then I'd look for a parts motor. Those motors are known for connecting rod problems.

I rebuilt a 1955 7.5 last winter that was seized for an "unknown" reason. Turned out the rod end cap had slightly shifted and was contacting the crank. I reseated it and now the motor runs like a top.