Outdrives not working

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have Alpha one outdrives. I have a Mercury throttle Control. My 1985 Searay still has the original buttons for outdrives. The throttle control has 2 trailer buttons on housing and 1 button for thumb. The thumb button isn't working and only one of the trailer buttons on housing work. Both of the original buttons by ignition are working. Can anyone help?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Outdrives not working

sounds like you need to troubleshoot the wiring at the helm control then back to the pump(s)

you say the drives can go up/down using some of the buttons, just not all?? (your wording is a little confusing)

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, the outdrives go up/down with the original buttons that are by ignition switches. One Trailer button works on Throttle Control(has 2) and Thumb control doesn't work at all.

LilRedNeckGirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on any old original wiring switch button thingie, the first line of business is to get in there, and clean ALL connections and contacts. A marine environment is perfect for corrosion that WILL act as an insulator on these connection /contact points. Test after cleaning, and then coat with a good anti corrosion grease designed for electrical applications. >> Personally, I use the #4 yellow light bulb grease. :) <<

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the info. I will be digging in there by this weekend