outdrive won't go on........help

rbgilson

Cadet
1983 Mercruiser Alpha 1...140 H.P. Got the outdrive about 6 inches away from fishin' I've shifted gears, turned prop, wiggled and giggled. The driveshaft is in the coupler but it just won't go. Anyone got any hints, or a cliff.

Grant Ingle

Seaman Apprentice
Re: outdrive won't go on........help

RB,<br /><br /> There are a couple of things which can keep the outdrive from slipping onto the studs and seating. Most commonly the shift dog on the end of the cable will tilt to the side and prevent the outdrive from seating. When you get the unit close to the shift dog check to make sure that isn't your problem. See if a local marina will allow you to borrow an alignment tool. This tool has the same dimensions as the driveshaft and should slide easily through the gimbal bearing and seat into the coupler. If the tool will not seat or is hard to remove, the motor will need to be adjusted at the forward stringer mount. A small amount of grease on the end of the shaft will show the binding area and tell you which way to adjust the mount. If everything above is good and out of the way then it may just need a little "help". If the outdrive is all the way to the studs and lines up with them, step back and give it a good kick right in between them. Good Luck!

rbgilson

Cadet

I am actually about three inches from seating the out drive. Would bumping the engine over be a possible solution? I checked the shift dog but it seems clear. The drive shaft is three quarters in the engine. If I hold the weight of the outdrive and wiggle it , it seems it's hitting somewhere around the u-joints, or just won't seat. Thats why I'm thinking if I turn the engine over a little bit it might free up?

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been away, from installing outdrives, for a lot of years, but didn't the contol box, and outdrive, have to be in forward gear, to re-install an out drive?

rbgilson

Cadet

I know it has to be in forward to take it off, but I'm not sure about putting it back on. One thing I did notice is the linkage has to line up.

Grant Ingle

Seaman Apprentice

Bumping the motor over with the unit in gear poses a definite safety hazard. Try installing the prop and spinning it to help the drive shaft engage the coupler. A small flashlight stuck into the transom can sometimes show you an alignment problem but checking with a alignment tool is the best way to ensure good positioning.

conimicut1

Seaman Apprentice

This is going to be hard to describe, but..<br /><br />I kept having problems installing my outdrive and it was the shift. Look at way the Shift mechanism works in the transom part. The top has a dogleg looking piece that is connected to a shift rod, the rod goes to the bottom and there is a channel piece of metal that moves side to side, that is the piece that was giving me problems! Look at the outdrive, the flat piece of metal has to slide into that channel piece of metal. When you are huffing and puffing to get the drive on something will move a little, those two pieces will not line up. <br />Make sure your shifter is in forward gear all the way. get your drive set up right, slide it on. If it stops, get under the boat and look at those two pieces, you can only see them from underneath, are they lined up right? If not get them right and try again.

rbgilson

Cadet

Well after all that, I took the old bearing and tried to put it on the driveshaft....It would not go. I'm lost, emery paper?

Bondo

Staff member

If you are 3"s out, you're hitting the coupler...... get an alignment tool,+ line it up....

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

you may have your outdrive on already and problem solved. just installed mine this weekend, lot of work, but got it on. several things have to be in line as you install the drive. shift slide has to slide into outdrive, outdrive has to fit into horseshoe. drive shaft has to go into gimbal brg. AND the u joints are so floppy that they can hang down and hit the bell housing. need to be sure the joints are up off the housing. driveshaft splines have to fit into the coupler,and finally, the shift dog has to slip into the shifter under the outdrive. if you install a new bearing, it has to be aligned to the coupler. i used grease on all sliding surfaces. don't understand why your old bearing doesn't slide on the drive shaft? i had to walk away from mine a few times and go back. it finally slid on, what a feeling of relief!!

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i had the same problem with my cobra. it was out of alignment.