Outdrive won't go in gear

sdglover

Cadet
1967 Evenrude stren drive, When idleing, engine runs hot, no water circulating. don't understand. I thought when idleing water should be moving through the motor..I have the stren drive sitting down in a big tub of water.. when running no water moves and the engine rund hot because of no water is getting up to the motor..<br />Pleas HELP!<br />Stan<br /><br />------------------<br />sdglover@cox-internet.com

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Outdrive won't go in gear

Hi Stan,<br />The waterpump that fills the motor is at the top of the sterndrive. So it needs to be deep in the water to prime.It could be bad from age. Try taking off one of the small hoses by the thermostat housing and prime it with a waterhose. Post back if still having problems.<br />corm<br /><br />------------------<br />cubic inches = power<br />power = speed<br />speed = FUN

sdglover

Cadet
Re: Outdrive won't go in gear

Hey Corm, priming it did work.<br />Now I don't know what I'm doing but trying.<br />Can't seem to get it to go in forward or reverse. I checked to make sure that power was getting from the elec. shift back to the stren. Power is going down in the stren. I took the stren off to see where the wires were going. Magnets right? How can I check to see if they are working. How would I hook up the wires, and the tell if it is working or not. I checked both wires before took I off. In reverse one wire was hot, and in forward the other was hot. But wouldn't go in gear.<br /><br />------------------<br />sdglover@cox-internet.com