outdrive wont come off

maccustom

Cadet
i remove all bolt (6) and arms ,drive fill lose around the where i took the bolt its sideing off about 1-2" or so..but having a hard time getting it to come off more..(1985 mercruiser 4cly 3lit 4)

ziggy

Admiral
Re: outdrive wont come off

look under your drive at where the shift shaft coupler is at.

IMG_1516.jpg

by putting the helm in fwd. it moves this coupler to face fore and aft. thus allowing the drive to slide off. in the pic. the helm is in neutral. you can see, that it would be hard to slide the coupler apart as it's turned to port some.

if in rev. the coupler would be facing even further to port than in the pic. if it were in fwd. the coupler would be facing fore and aft.

edit. if ya can't move the coupler. remove the lower first. this allows the shift shaft in the upper to drop low enough to clear the shift shaft in the bell housing and will allow removal of the drive in any gear..

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

C-4. 1/4 oz. shaped charge. Either stand off to one side or wear a catcher's mitt when you light it off.

My .02

maccustom

Cadet

ok i got shift cable hook up and put in fwd still having a hard time pulling it out .i did checkl the coupler and it fwd as well

Bondo

Staff member

ok i got shift cable hook up and put in fwd still having a hard time pulling it out .i did checkl the coupler and it fwd as well

Ayuh,... Then pull Harder,... It's rusted, or corroded....
Or,...
Pick the drive up, put a 2x4 down at the bottom of the transom assembly, 'n SLAM the drive down....
Or,...
Reattach the trim rams, 'n use the hydraulics to Push it off....