Outdrive Side-to-side slop

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have noticed near the end of the season that compared to my friends Bravo drives on his boat, my Alpha 1 has a fair bit of side to side slop on my rinker. What generally causes this? is it the steering arm that goes through the transom plate inside the boat generally? or is it a bushing on the bell housing? It's parked in a heated garage now and I haven't had a chance to check it out with a second person inside the boat looking for slop. There is no up/down slop, it's just side to side, and I got to thinking. If it was slopping while under load, would it cause your boat to sway back and fourth? Mine was doing it alot this summer once you got on plane and that's the only thing I can think of that would cause it. It's more than likely going to be traded in on a newer Cruiser Yachts 3070 Rogue which is bigger with twins, and all the bells and whistles. I'm still fairly new to outdrives unfortunately so bear with me. It may be that I just need to drag some unfortunate person up to the heated building to help me look at it.

1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 280, 5.7L MERCRUISER Alpha 1

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive Side-to-side slop

This is the Merc OB forum mikey, will move it to the IO forum.

Don S

There is a whole lot of differnce in the hydraulic over power steering with a tie bar between 2 engines on Bravo drives than that of a cable steering system on an Alpha drive. Look inside the boat and see what is moving when the "Slop" of the outdrive is moved back and forth. You will probalby find a little movement in everything and it just all adds up.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the move, and thanks for replying Don. My boat has hydraulic steering, not sure if they still use cables in conjunction with the hydraulic. Do you think this is something that can be left or am I inviting trouble when its loose? or is it just normal for these old drives? Just haven't found anyone willing to go with me to examine it.

Don S

You have to look and see where all the movement is coming from. Is it in the linkage, the bushings in the gimbal housing, the U bolts on the gimbal ring?
Do you have hydraulic steering, or just power steering with a cable helm. There are both kinds.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I would torque the two bolts on top of the gimbal ring to 50# for starters.......;)