outdrive r&r tied to overheat? (long)

Ironrogue

Cadet
2004 4.3GL-D SX-M1 1.79:1
Removed outdrive for engine alignment, spline grease, and evaluation of rotating assembly and water intrusion.
All went well with no signs of water, slight adjustment of engine mounts and no replacement of parts except new orings at shaft and water passage.
Starting of motor on muffs after dewinterization revealed no water flow at exhaust bellows running around idle to @1200 rpm. Lack of water flow was discovered after alarm sounding followed by me immediately shutting down engine. I was in the boat at initial startup to monitor gauges for abnormalities ie. oil pressure, temp, etc. Temp gauge was not rising much above 100* when alarm sounded causing me to be alarmed. This is when no flow at bellows was discovered. Raw water pump housing and risers very hot to the touch. After a bit of cool down, I removed impeller for inspection to find two vanes partially torn but missing no pieces. I replaced impeller with new VP impeller kit. Upon restarting, temp gauge registered higher @ 170ish, still no water at exhaust bellows and after a short running, the alarm sounding. I removed the muffs and put garden hose on flushing fitting. cap was tight and difficult to remove. Water flowed from outdrive pickup ports without motor running and, after running for a bit, stopped at outdrive ports and began flowing from exhaust bellows but not as strongly as i remember from last fall on muffs. Again, I was at the helm, and relying on cues from my wife as to what was happening at the stern. I described to her about the need for water to flow from the exhaust bellows area. While running for a short while from the flush fitting, it was confirmed that water flowed from the exhaust bellows but she reported that she felt there was excessive exhaust smoke from the prop area at which time I shut down the engine and reattached the muffs to the drive. At this time, there was again no flow at the exhaust bellows accompanied by an alarm sound. I shut down the engine, let it cool for a while, and removed the impeller. It does not appear damaged and I have not yet done any further running or testing. My darling wife is insinuating that the r&r of the outdrive is somehow at fault in this issue (she hasn't much confidence in my ability much to my chagrin).
I am currently reviewing the sticky document from The Oracle regarding VP overheat diagnosis.

Can someone offer any insight about this and comment on if there is maybe there is something simple I have overlooked or perhaps a possible solution?

As always, I am grateful for anything that may be offered and I apolologize for not being able to accurately describe my scenario in fewer words!

Roger:confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: outdrive r&r tied to overheat? (long)

Your original overheat may have damaged what is called a grommet in the outdrive. It's rubber and seals the water passage from the lower unit to the upper gear housing.

Grommet.jpg

The seal around the water passage where the drive meets the pivot housing may have slipped out of position as well.

Ironrogue

Cadet
Re: outdrive r&r tied to overheat? (long)

Thank you Don S. for your reply.

I will remove outdrive to check passage oring for integrity.

Can you be more specific as to the likelyhood of the intake water grommet suffering damage from initial overheat alarms?
If indeed that grommet is the most likely suspect, is it a formidable project to replace it?

Also, if that grommet has failed and when introducing water to flush fitting resulting in flow from outdrive intake ports, could that introduce water into outdrive gear oil and be an indication of failed grommet by viewing outdrive gear oil for water intrusion? Hence if no water in gear oil then not likely damage to grommet?

Last edited: