Outdrive Question

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Guys,

I have a 1986 Bayliner with a 3.0L 4 cyl OMC and a cobra outdrive. Heres my question: I pulled the boat out today to fire it up and it started fine. I had the water hooked up and as it was idling, I was checking over the engine for leaks, etc.. I looked over the back to make sure the prop was turning while in gear (outdrive down) and noticed a strong stream shooting out the upper left side of the outdrive. Didnt remember seeing that before, so I jumped out of the boat and noticed that it looked like there was a plug or something where the water was coming from at one time. I stuck my finger in to plug it up and it looked like more water started coming out of the transom, after circulating through the engine. Pulled my finger out and the stream from the transom diminished, so I shut the motor off. Is there suppose to be a plug there and if so, anyone know where I can get a replacement? Thanks for you help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive Question

Yes, there is a plug there. It looks like an oil drain/vent screw, but it goes into a SS plate inside the drive. Sure hope no one took it out expecting it to be a vent screw for the gear lube. That happens quite often.
Pull the drive off and turn it upside down and the plate should show up.
Someone may know where to find the screw, I sure don't.

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info. Found another problem. Found out reverse is not working. Goes into forward gear okay and spins prop, but when it goes into reverse, nothing happens, as if its in neutral. Im assuming that means my reverse gear is gone. Checked prices on rebuilds, a little steep. My question is if I just replace the lower unit, would that correct the problem or do I need to replace the entire outdrive unit?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Have you had the lower shift cable replaced? Before investing in another drive i would pull that one off,find the plate that goes on the back of that plug thats missing.Then see if it will shift manually with the drive off.
you REALLY need a OEM service manual.The Cobra is complicated to adjust for correct shifting and most shops do not know how to do it.OMC mechanics are rare now days..

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info. When I shift it from neutral to forward or reverse, it is VERY difficult to do, have to use both hands. I am going to remove the outdrive so that I can find the backing to that plug and am going to get a shop manual, but is there something I can adjust on top of the engine to correct the prob (difficult shifting). It looks as if the cable connects to the top of a bracket, then there is a cable going from the bottome of the bracket that actually goes out to the drive. Also noticed there is threading on the cable itself, is that where the adjustment takes place? Thanks again guys.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Your lower shift cable needs to be replaced. You need to pull the drive to replace the cable. When you take off the drive, you can manually put the drive in reverse to verify that it still engages. Just make sure you put the drive back in neutral before you try to put it back on.

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, will do. Forgive the ignorance, but Im assuming the lower shift cable is the one that goes from the bracket to the outdrive. Also, once I remove the outdrive, how do I manually shift it into reverse?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

You will see once the drive is off.It has a V shape bracket that you push up or down that shifts it.
The cable connects to an arm in the housing.The lower shift cable should be red in color and yes,it is the one going thru the transom to the drive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There is a rod with a fork in it that engages with the bellcrank that the shift cable goes to. Here is a picture.
clip_image004_0010.jpg

Before you do any of this, you really should read the Hastings site that whywhyzed posted above and purchase an OEM service manual. The adjustment process for this is a bit tricky.

In the OEM manual, they have two methods of setting the bellcrank angle. The method I prefer is to use an OMC tool that sets the angle. You can often rent these from places that service and sell OMC parts but those are getting harder to come by. The alternate method of using a square can also be used but it is tougher to get the correct 90 degree angle. This is important to set correctly as it determines the amount of throw when shifting. If you set the angle wrong, you will have different amounts of throw between forward and reverse.

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all for your help. I removed the lower shift cable from the block and manually pulled it out and pushed it in. I could hear it clicking, or engaging for forward and reverse. Started it up, pulled it out and prop spun forward and pushed it in and prop spun in reverse!!!!!!! Absolutely made my day!!! I will buy the manual to make the adjustments. Should I still go ahead and replace cable?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would. My experience is that when it starts needing a large adjustment, it is time to replace. Tilt up the drive and look on the starboard side of the drive where the cable enters. I have seen that the cable housing fails right where it enters the drive.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

While you are at it when you take the drive off inspect and lube the u-joints.There is no way to lube them when the drive is on.Look the bellows and gimble bearing over good too.Its all in that manual.
The lower shift cable is about 100 bucks.If it saves the gears its money well spent.Those Cobra gears are REALLY expensive..

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeay, I saw that. Thanks again guys. Never would have figured this one out on my own.