Outdrive pops up when I put it in gear

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice
From time to time, even though I have the outdrive completely down, when I put it in gear it pops up.<br />I usually go back to neutral then put it back in gear and that usually works.<br /><br />Does anyone know why this might be happening?<br /><br />Thank you

dick

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outdrive pops up when I put it in gear

What type of drive do you have .MERC? VOLVO? OMC?

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

It is a Volvo 270 outdrive. It supposedly was recently rebuilt. I have not had any other problems besides the one I just mentioned.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

As discussed on a previous topic, there is a reversing lock which prevents the drive from being drawn up by the reversing prop. The lock disengages in forward.<br /><br />Check if this is a problem with your setup.

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you UU. How do I check to see if this lock is disengaging and if my set up is incorrect?<br /><br />If it is how do I fix it.<br /><br />Thank you.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Depending on your make & model, it's most likely a hook that locks on the trim pin - the pin that decides your trim angle when trimmed fully in (prop close to hull). The hook is operated by the gear shift mechanism. On some systems it locks both in neutral and reverse, some only in reverse. Some brands have no lock but uses the hydraulic trim/tild to keep it in place if you have this design check for hydraulic valve function (if a valve does not work the hydraulic pressure cannot be maintained and the system will be out of control).<br />This is definately a situation, where a manual would prove valuable.

mark loveys

Cadet

Hi - I have exactly the same problem with my 270 penta. The lift light stays red, even when switched off, and when I try to reverse the reverse thrust lifts the leg out of the water. Then it will suddenly correct itself for no apparent reason.<br /><br />It doesn't help that I don't have a handbook for operating the boat (Bayliner 190).<br /><br />Please let me know if you remedy your problem and I will make investigations over here.<br /><br />Best wishes etc.<br /><br />Mark

zakaih7

Seaman Apprentice

Getting a good repair manual will be paramount to correctly fixing it yourself. I had the same problem with my 270 and never would have fixed it without the book! The parts are very pricey from volvo so if there are any after market parts available I would check them out first. Mine needed new hooks and the release rod adjuster...about 100$ bucks...for a very small couple of parts....they would have fit into a samll teacup!!!! I was able to fix it but cringed at the price. Good luck and if u need more info I'll try to help.<br /><br />Michael<br />zakiah7