outdrive oil leak

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I have a 1996 3.0 LX with an AlphaOne Gen 2 outdrive, which is leaking oil through the gear housing water drain hole. Can anyone tell me why it is leaking and how to fix this problem, Thank you.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: outdrive oil leak

I would suggest-- Drain the out dive oil & do a pressure test. Be sure the oil color is ok. If the oil is discolored or your not sure when the bellows was last changed check or rerplace those also. (You need to drain the outdrive to do a pressure test anyway)

I had the same problem & it turned out to be a combination of water getting into the drive through a drive shaft bellows that was failing and the drive shaft seal in that area not being designed to keep water out. This had a resulting overpressure that caused it to leak when sitting in the sun. The oil color was a give away as it was milky.

The fix was all new bellows and pressure testing the drive. I fixed a prop shaft seal that was marginal while I was at it.

Lots of places the drives can leak a pressure test tells all. I beleive the Shift shaft seal is one more common ones that can cause your symptom .

My boat is older and has an alpha one but the principles are the same. You may want to read this post for some added detail.http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=523275

Also search pressure testing inf your not familiar to that.

Good Luck.