Outdrive Not Spinning

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am eagerly working to get boat working. I have taken the outdrive off to pull motor. I put it together and am sure that I made sure the shift pin was in neutral position but it feels like it is stuck in gear. Alpha 1 gen 1, could the pin had moved or am I missing something?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Outdrive Not Spinning

I put it together and am sure that I made sure the shift pin was in neutral position but it feels like it is stuck in gear.

Ayuh,... When removing, or installing an Alpha, it's always done with Everything in Forward gear, or things get bent...

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... When removing, or installing an Alpha, it's always done with Everything in Forward gear, or things get bent...

I haven't tried restarting anything as of yet. Is there a way to correct this?

ziggy

Admiral

sounds like ya for sure need a service manual.... http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/srvcovr.pdf you'll want #6...

Is there a way to correct this?
pull the drive again. one of these two shift shafts are the ones that will be bent..

IMG_1516.jpg

the one with the female shoe is in the bell housing, the one with the male shoe is in the upper. replace the bent one. or both...
in the pic. it's in neutral. you can see that if you were to try and slide the drive rearward to remove it. the coupler wouldn't let them separate. one or both would bend if ya forced the drive off. when the drive is in fwd. this coupler is facing fore and aft. allowing the shoes to slide and separate..

bd has a good point. i'm assuming (i know, i know) the shift pin is the two shafts coupled. or one or the other. any way ya look at it though. bond-o is correct too. basically when removing any part of the drive on an alpha1, ya put everything in fwd to get it disassembled or assembled correctly....

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what are you calling the shift pin?

its the square pin coming out at right side of gimbal housing. I thought it said that I needed to make sure it was in nuetral position. I guess I misunderstood. I will get it fixed. Thanks guys for the info..