Outdrive Model #'s

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice
I have a stringer 400 outdrive currently on my boat that needs to be replaced. The previous owner didn't know what the hell he was doing and screwed this thing all up internally.

I found a suitable Stringer 400 outdrive replacement, but the part numbers are different between the two drives and I am curious if they are 100% compatible before I go drop the money on the new outdrive.

My current out drive model #982740
My engine model#302STHRCTR

The drive I plan on buying model #983486
The engine model its coming off#302STHRCOM

Thanks in advance...

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Outdrive Model #'s

should be no problem. One is 1983 , the other 1985. since both those years were mechanical shift, it should be a easy direct swap. Just take care of the shift cables during the swap, and that means removing the battery from the boat.

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Outdrive Model #'s

should be no problem. One is 1983 , the other 1985. since both those years were mechanical shift, it should be a easy direct swap. Just take care of the shift cables during the swap, and that means removing the battery from the boat.

That's what I was thinking that it was just a change in model year. I was curious if it had something to do with the steering gear though. I do have to replace the shift cable from the control box to the converter too. For some reason it does not even move when I move the controls.

Thanks Howard