Outdrive loose, outdrive won't come off

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We've loosened all 6 bolts, removed the trim cylinders, and put the outdrive down (straight), put the gearshift in Forward, and the outdrive will not slide anymore than 1/2 off. It's acting like the driveshaft is holding it back.

Any suggestions?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outdrive loose, outdrive won't come off

Put a block of wood in the proper place & slam it down......
You are probably sticking on the orings or crust the input shaft where it goes through the gimbal bearing....back it in a little & spray a little Kroil in there.......;)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Where the drive meets the gimbal ring...........
It should be evident when you lift the drive up......
Go easy at first.....:)

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, thanks. I got it off. There's no real rust in there, i don't exactly understand why it came off so hard. Perhaps engine alignment is out causing the driveshaft to pinch? Heck, I don't know. I'll fart with it in the spring. How difficult do you reckon it is to get the bell housing off? My universal joints seem tighter than stone, but how do you REALLY know if theyre in good shape? Im gonna pull the bellows and do those because I need to change the water house (cracking), so i figure i might as well do those while i'm in there if i buy the kit.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Alright, thanks. I got it off. There's no real rust in there, i don't exactly understand why it came off so hard. Perhaps engine alignment is out causing the driveshaft to pinch?
Maybe, you'll need to check.....
Heck, I don't know. I'll fart with it in the spring. How difficult do you reckon it is to get the bell housing off?
Well, they have loctite & over 100# torque on them, so you really should get the special hinge pin tool & have a breaker bar handy....
My universal joints seem tighter than stone, but how do you REALLY know if theyre in good shape?
You don't until you pull them apart....

Im gonna pull the bellows and do those because I need to change the water house (cracking), so i figure i might as well do those while i'm in there if i buy the kit.
Good luck!......:)