Outdrive Install

dk6164

Seaman
I just got done replacing my bellows, gimble bearing, and u-joints on my Alpha 1. At the end of the season I pulled the leg and found water in the drive shaft bellows due to the square 0-ring not sealing correctly. Now my question- why does the manual tell you to install the o-ring into the bell housing and then slide the drive on? Wouldn't it make more sense to slide the o-ring over the neck of the unit and then slide the drive on?? I did it according to the manual-using some grease to hold it in place- but now I'm not sure the stupid o-ring didn't shift again on the install!! I'm sure there's a reason NOT to do it this way but I'm just curious.<br />Thanks for any help!!!

tommays

Admiral
Re: Outdrive Install

Well the manual does tell you to use 3M rubber glue ( at least on a GEN II )to put in the ring to keep it from moveing<br /><br />The ring is the last thing in line to stop water<br /><br /> The bellhouseing gasket or shift slide area would have to be leaking for water to reach the ring<br /><br /><br />tommays

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't put it on the drive, it will leak for sure when it gets twisted and pushed sideways while installing the drive. I always glue that square oring in place in the bellhousing and never have a problem. It is very possible to bump it with the drive or the ujoints when installing and knock it out of place a little and not be able to see it when it's only held in with grease or nothing.<br />Why take the chance. You now see the outcome.

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just use some bellows adhesive on it. Thats what i did. <br /><br />later, <br /><br />Big-E

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Im with the boys on this one.I have always used bellows adhesive on that ring.I also used weatherstripping adhesive which looked and worked exactly like bellows adhesive.The correct glue is the type that has to be applied to both surfaces first and let dry and then some more on one of the surfaces.

Bondo

Staff member

I've never had any issues using Grease to hold the O-rings,.......<br />I Always have Grease Handy,..... I've only had Bellows Adhesives Handy,..Once about 600orsohr.s ago.......<br /><br />But,...... If Glue is Better,......... So Be It.........

dk6164

Seaman

I actually used some bellows adhesive this time! Last time I used grease and, when you're putting the beast on yourself, it's VERY hard to get the drive shaft thru the gimble bearing and not drop the nose down enough to dislodge the o-ring. I guess the solution would be to swallow my pride and ask somebody to give me a hand! I still will wonder if I got it right and will DEFINATELY be pulling the drive after every season!!<br />Thanks for the input!