Outdrive height advise

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
So being new with a outboard i know enough to use this forum. Made simple the outboard is riding 2 inches low i need to raise it at least 1.5 and I believe Its raised to its maximum height already on the transom. Input advice would be greatly appreciated in terms of raising the engine....a setback setup maybe just a smidge over budget

Attachments

• photo273974.jpg
    photo273974.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273975.jpg
    photo273975.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273976.jpg
    photo273976.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
It's at the lowest it can go on the transom. You've got three holes to go up yet.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Raise it up a few holes, re-drill lower holes. A piece of 2x2 and some door shims will allow you to raise it by yourself

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Have you tried it yet? It looks OK to me, with the A.V. plate at the bottom of the deep vee hull(?)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Where did you get the idea you need to raise the engine 2 inches? The AV plate looks close to where it should be. Higher heights are of valve at speeds over 50mph.
What HP?
Looking at the 2nd pic, I suspect the transom has some structural issues. Are there washer/spacers between the bracket and the transom?
Love it when people spray bomb, decals, serial/model #s, control levers.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Where did you get the idea you need to raise the engine 2 inches? The AV plate looks close to where it should be. Higher heights are of valve at speeds over 50mph.
What HP?
Looking at the 2nd pic, I suspect the transom has some structural issues. Are there washer/spacers between the bracket and the transom?
Love it when people spray bomb, decals, serial/model #s, control levers.

Structure issues yes, easy fix next year. Engine height dismal at best, high performance absolutely this is only the beginning.

So i can raise the engine on the transom to my liking, I really am a novice with outboards......no need to worry about the engine mounting plate and those small built in hooks.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Engine height dismal at best, high performance absolutely this is only the beginning. So i can raise the engine on the transom to my liking.

You can do whatever you want, whether or not it works well, you will find out

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The exact height for best performance is only known by trial and error, I always adjust it on a new boat to see what works for me and how I want to use the boat. Most boats are set up on the safe and conservative side by the manufacturer or dealer, which means on the low side. And most people never try adjusting it.

Your motor looks a little low, so raise it and how you like it, it might work great or you may move it back down, no harm in testing.