Outdrive easy to move back and forth by hand

Wallup

Cadet
Hello all, I have a 1990 Chaparral Villian II with a 350 merc in it. I've noticed some play in the steering wheel and also my outdrive. I can move the outdrive pretty easily about 12 inches either way. is this OK?

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Outdrive easy to move back and forth by hand

No. Should be tight, no slop. Is it power steering?

Wallup

Cadet

Where do I need to be looking for the problem? Hydraulic lines?

Wallup

Cadet

Thanks, I've been hearing gimbal bearing to much lately. $$

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Good luck wallup! I've never had p/s on a boat so can't help you there!

flashback

Captain

does the steering wheel turn when you move the outdrive 12 inches? I can move my outdrive from left to right but the wheel moves at the same time... there's nothing wrong with that......

tommays

Admiral

i have to ask about the wheel to because the drive will only move about 12" eather way no matter what if you had that much play the boat would be uncontroable<br /><br />tommays

Wallup

Cadet

I'll definitly check that out with the steering wheel this evening. fingers crossed! The boat handles extremely well. Thanks for all the input.

Wallup

Cadet

Hello all, Steering wheel moves after pushing the sterndrive about three inches left or right so I basiclly have a total of 5 or 6 inches slop. If it is the Gimbal Bearing, am I screwing up anything else by not repairing this at the moment? Will it progressivly get worse and render the boat uncontrollable while driving?

tommays

Admiral

if your sure you have 6 inches of play something in the stering is worn<br /><br />you might want to look at the bracket were the stering cable connects to the drive and see if the problem is in the drive or in your stering wheel and cable assembly i would think it past the point of being safe<br /><br />tommays

flashback

Captain

Wallup, the gimbal bearing has nothing to do with the steering, I would suspect something wrong with the hydraulic cylinder or linkage. I would get a friend to turn the wheel while you watch the linkage that is bolted to the inside of the transom.. I don't really know how to explain it, but by doing this you will see how the steering works and most likely see something broken or sloppy.. as Tommays said, it is not good this way.......

achris

More fish than mountain goat

This sounds like the bolts at the top of the gimbal ring are loose and allowing the upper swivel shaft to be loose in the gimbal ring. <br /><br />You can check them with a couple of 9/16" spanners. At the top of the gimbal ring you'll see the heads of the bolts. The nuts are inside. Don't overtighten them as they're stainless and will sheer quite easily.<br /><br />Let us know how you go.<br /><br />Chris.............

gwgman566

Cadet

Here is something I didn't see mentioned that really could be the problem. There are two bolts that tighten the collar around the shaft that transmits the steering input to the outdrive. You can get a wrench on the nuts on the back side of the gimbal ring. And a socket on the bolts on the front. Real easy fix if this is the problem. I bet it is.

gwgman566

Cadet

Well I guess I didn't read all the replies. "achris" mentioned it already. Well good luck anyway.