outdrive adaptor/clutch stuck to outdrive input shaft

ericv26

Seaman Apprentice
not sure if I a calling it the right thing but in automotive terms it would be a clutch disc however on the boat it bolts directly to the flywheel.my set up is a 290 dp with 5.7 chevy based volvo penta. recently found blown head gasket and removed engine for rebuild. uopn removal the "clutch disc" would not come free of inpit to out drive. I have purchased a new disc but have been unable to remove old. I am a diesel tech by trade and have my choice of pullers and none have budged it. have sprayed with pb blaster and allowed to soak. though about heat but dont want to damage any seals.any thoughts guys? next I was going to use my cut off tool to cut up to just befor input shaft and try to split disc collar. have done this with bearings with alot of success but I fig with all th knowledge on this site someone would have a good trick.. thanks want to get back in the water.Eric

Bondo

Staff member
Re: outdrive adaptor/clutch stuck to outdrive input shaft

not sure if I a calling it the right thing but in automotive terms it would be a clutch disc however on the boat it bolts directly to the flywheel.my set up is a 290 dp with 5.7 chevy based volvo penta. recently found blown head gasket and removed engine for rebuild. uopn removal the "clutch disc" would not come free of inpit to out drive. I have purchased a new disc but have been unable to remove old. I am a diesel tech by trade and have my choice of pullers and none have budged it. have sprayed with pb blaster and allowed to soak. though about heat but dont want to damage any seals.any thoughts guys? next I was going to use my cut off tool to cut up to just befor input shaft and try to split disc collar. have done this with bearings with alot of success but I fig with all th knowledge on this site someone would have a good trick.. thanks want to get back in the water.Eric

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Now ya know Why those splines are supposed to be Greased,....

I take it ya got the motor outa the way, 'n yer lookin' at the plate hangin' inside the transom, still in the hull,..??
'n I'm guessin' ya got reasonably good access to the area involved,..??

My favorite way of bustin' Rusted parts is heatin' 'n Quenchin',....

Do ya have O2/Ac torches,..?? ya need 'em,... propane, 'n mapp ain't hot enough, quick enough,...

Anyway, Point is, ya put yer heat into the plate/ collar, 'n not so much the shaft,...
If ya can slip a wet rag behind the plate, 'n on the shaft, it would be a Plus, but not necessary,...
Ya wanta heat the area 'round the collar, 'n the collar good, 'n red, then dowse it with water,...
Quench it Quick as possible,...

That'll fracture the rust bond, 'n with abit of yer favorite penatratin' oil, it oughta slip right off there,...

I've removed rusted exhaust system clamps nuts that didn't even look like nuts anymore with the system,....
Tractor trailer U-bolts is where I learned the trick, a lifetime ago, Pre-air tool days,.... ;)

Last edited:

ericv26

Seaman Apprentice
Re: outdrive adaptor/clutch stuck to outdrive input shaft

ok guys finally got it off. what i did was remove the springs using a channel locks then took a snap on 3 jay puller and put it the hole from the springs. the puller has a nut on top that locks the jaws in place so the would not slip off. then I wedged a prybar between puller and belhousing and using a 3/4 breaker bar finally got it off. to my supprise new one slips right on. go figure.that said the seal in bellhousing looks to be leaking. what is that seal called? is it readily available? thanks eric