Outboard vs. Inboard/Outboard???

vitaman30

Recruit
I am currently in the market for a new, small, "entry-level" craft. The specs are: 18 foot craft from either Maxum or Bayliner, 125 HP outboard (Mercury Force for Bayliner, Mercury for Maxum) or 3.0 L I/O (Mercruiser?). We plan to use the boat mainly for water skiing but also for cruising (about a 50/50 mix). The Bayliner model is the 1800 Capri DX while the Maxum model is the 1800 XR. My search has led to numerous questions which I was hoping you might help answer:<br /><br />1. In terms of outboard vs. in board: Which offers best fuel efficiency? Which offers the less costly minor repairs? Which offers the easiest routine, owner performed maintenance? Which is less costly to replace outright? Which is noisier? Any other advantages/disadvantages you could provide would be appreciated.<br /><br />2. For each type of motor, what is the expected amount of fuel that would be burned when cruising for 4 hours at an average/moderate speed with a 4 average size people on board. How much oil would be burned by outboard.<br /><br />3. The Bayliner is offered by a Boat/RV dealer while the Maxum is through a Marina. Any advantages/disadvantages to either option?<br /><br />4. What is typically involved in winterization? Cost? Can this easily be performed by the owner?

monty

Cadet
Re: Outboard vs. Inboard/Outboard???

Originally posted by vitaman30:<br />I am currently in the market for a new, small, "entry-level" craft. The specs are: 18 foot craft from either Maxum or Bayliner, 125 HP outboard (Mercury Force for Bayliner, Mercury for Maxum) or 3.0 L I/O (Mercruiser?). We plan to use the boat mainly for water skiing but also for cruising (about a 50/50 mix). The Bayliner model is the 1800 Capri DX while the Maxum model is the 1800 XR. My search has led to numerous questions which I was hoping you might help answer:<br /><br />1. In terms of outboard vs. in board: Which offers best fuel efficiency? Which offers the less costly minor repairs? Which offers the easiest routine, owner performed maintenance? Which is less costly to replace outright? Which is noisier? Any other advantages/disadvantages you could provide would be appreciated.<br /><br />2. For each type of motor, what is the expected amount of fuel that would be burned when cruising for 4 hours at an average/moderate speed with a 4 average size people on board. How much oil would be burned by outboard.<br /><br />3. The Bayliner is offered by a Boat/RV dealer while the Maxum is through a Marina. Any advantages/disadvantages to either option?<br /><br />4. What is typically involved in winterization? Cost? Can this easily be performed by the owner?
<br />the inboard will run on about half the fuel that an outboard of comparable size will a 100 hp two stroke will use "about" 10 gallons per hour at full throttle. a 150 will use about 15 a four stroke inboard of the size you are looking at should use about 5-7 gph the inboard is quieter, cleaner running, more trouble free,no oil to mess with, and cheaper to rebuild if ever needed the seller is a non issue just get what you feel is a fair deal from a reputable place and seasonal maintance is easier on an inboard about 1 hour fall and spring good luck monty

vitaman30

Recruit

Monty:<br /><br />I can't thank you enough for your help. I am trying to convince my Dad that I/O is the way to go but he has been brainwashed by his buddies to believe that I/O burns more gas and requires more repairs. Do you know of any Boat motor supplier (Mercury preferred)that would have a table which compares an I/O to an outboard of the same HP?? This might convince him a little more. If not, I appreciate all the help you have been able to give me. Thanks again.<br /><br />Steve<br />(845) 359-2847 HOME<br />(845) 732-3965 WORK<br />(845) 732-5639 FAX<br /><br />
Originally posted by monty:<br />
Originally posted by vitaman30:<br />I am currently in the market for a new, small, "entry-level" craft. The specs are: 18 foot craft from either Maxum or Bayliner, 125 HP outboard (Mercury Force for Bayliner, Mercury for Maxum) or 3.0 L I/O (Mercruiser?). We plan to use the boat mainly for water skiing but also for cruising (about a 50/50 mix). The Bayliner model is the 1800 Capri DX while the Maxum model is the 1800 XR. My search has led to numerous questions which I was hoping you might help answer:<br /><br />1. In terms of outboard vs. in board: Which offers best fuel efficiency? Which offers the less costly minor repairs? Which offers the easiest routine, owner performed maintenance? Which is less costly to replace outright? Which is noisier? Any other advantages/disadvantages you could provide would be appreciated.<br /><br />2. For each type of motor, what is the expected amount of fuel that would be burned when cruising for 4 hours at an average/moderate speed with a 4 average size people on board. How much oil would be burned by outboard.<br /><br />3. The Bayliner is offered by a Boat/RV dealer while the Maxum is through a Marina. Any advantages/disadvantages to either option?<br /><br />4. What is typically involved in winterization? Cost? Can this easily be performed by the owner?
<br />the inboard will run on about half the fuel that an outboard of comparable size will a 100 hp two stroke will use "about" 10 gallons per hour at full throttle. a 150 will use about 15 a four stroke inboard of the size you are looking at should use about 5-7 gph the inboard is quieter, cleaner running, more trouble free,no oil to mess with, and cheaper to rebuild if ever needed the seller is a non issue just get what you feel is a fair deal from a reputable place and seasonal maintance is easier on an inboard about 1 hour fall and spring good luck monty

monty

Cadet

tell him to go check pricing on a brand new 125 outboard and the force is really a great paper weight it uses 1970's technology it is actually an old chrysler w/ a new name seriously they are the same motor merc bought them about 2 years ago and i dont think they offer them anymore. check at outboard parts .com and most parts are the same for a 73 chrysler and a 95 force i dont know of any comparison charts but look at some copies of trailer boat magazine or some others

vitaman30

Recruit

Monty:<br /><br />Sounds like we need to look into whether Mercury has made any improvements to the Force engine. You really helped a lot and I want to thank you again. I'll let you know what we finally end up with. Thanks a lot.<br /><br />Steve<br /><br />
Originally posted by monty:<br />tell him to go check pricing on a brand new 125 outboard and the force is really a great paper weight it uses 1970's technology it is actually an old chrysler w/ a new name seriously they are the same motor merc bought them about 2 years ago and i dont think they offer them anymore. check at outboard parts .com and most parts are the same for a 73 chrysler and a 95 force i dont know of any comparison charts but look at some copies of trailer boat magazine or some others

monty

Cadet

mercury has not made any improvements except to stop making them mercury marine makes mercury and mariner they dont need the warranty hassels of 30 year old tech.you can call me toll free at 877-762-6473 good luck monty

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The 4cyl IO is 35-40 year old tech.<br />Buy the 125Merc and Maxium.<br />Same Db level different frequency so OB sounds louder.<br />I've never driven a 130 IO that gets 5-7gph<br />at WOT.<br /><br />------------------<br />cubic inches = power<br />power = speed<br />speed = FUN

monty

Cadet

vita; the outboard manufacturer recommends a cruise rpm of about 4000-4500 rpm the inboard will cruise at about 3000 to 3500 rpm it is an older motor (block) but chevy has updated the tech as they go along just as the outboard manufacturers have (except force) corm; i had a 23 ft welded aluminum jat boat w/ a 302 ford and a 3 stage hamilton pump that ran on 6 gallons an hour with 4 200 lb guys and all thier gear, a total weight of abou 3500 lbs and did it at 3500 rpm and at 2500 ft. above sea level if that 4.0 wont do it it needs a major tune up and a prop change thanks monty

steve064

Cadet

If you go back in time, Steve, to June 14 of this year, in this same area, you will see that I posed the same exact question that you are now posing. I was looking for the same thing you are looking for. Originally I was leaning toward a Four Winns 17 ft boat, but in deciding to go with an outboard instead of a Stern Drive, the Four Winns deck style put them out of the running. The Bayliner 1800 w/ the outboard 125 Merc is exactly what I want. Maxum and Bayliner are family. Bayliner(brother) is nice, features and style worthy of ENTRY levelers like you and me. Maxum (sister) is prettier, fluffier, more expensive (most girls are) and heavier (I won't touch that one). If you peel off the makeup, the 2 are going to ride the same. I bet you are looking at 3000 dollars more + for the Maxum, and it's just a Bayliner dressed up in WOMEN's clothes. Yes, I am having fun with this, but I think you get the point. Maybe, as a first timer we should leave that pretty girl on the lot, take out the guy this time. It all comes down to cost vs. options. As for Outboard or Stern Drive, there is some good info back on 14 June that has not been posted in yours. Here is my take. IOs are heavier, weight robs speed. IOs are slower to come out of the water. IOs are more difficult to winterize, but seem to be a little less expensive to maintain. Outboards are lighter and offer more punch, so a 125 HP Merc will give you more power than the comperable 130 HP stern drive. Read the feedback to my post for the rest. I looked into a used boat with a Force engine on it, someone whom I trust gave me this advice. RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION. If the boat you are looking at is brand new, and there is a Force hanging off of it, call the BBB, there is a Merc laying in the back that should be on it. I will buy this winter, either a 2000 or a 2001 and it will probably be the 1800 from Bayliner. I will look for your next post.<br /><br />Steve, ALB New Mexico

vitaman30

Recruit

Originally posted by steve064:<br />If you go back in time, Steve, to June 14 of this year, in this same area, you will see that I posed the same exact question that you are now posing. I was looking for the same thing you are looking for. Originally I was leaning toward a Four Winns 17 ft boat, but in deciding to go with an outboard instead of a Stern Drive, the Four Winns deck style put them out of the running. The Bayliner 1800 w/ the outboard 125 Merc is exactly what I want. Maxum and Bayliner are family. Bayliner(brother) is nice, features and style worthy of ENTRY levelers like you and me. Maxum (sister) is prettier, fluffier, more expensive (most girls are) and heavier (I won't touch that one). If you peel off the makeup, the 2 are going to ride the same. I bet you are looking at 3000 dollars more + for the Maxum, and it's just a Bayliner dressed up in WOMEN's clothes. Yes, I am having fun with this, but I think you get the point. Maybe, as a first timer we should leave that pretty girl on the lot, take out the guy this time. It all comes down to cost vs. options. As for Outboard or Stern Drive, there is some good info back on 14 June that has not been posted in yours. Here is my take. IOs are heavier, weight robs speed. IOs are slower to come out of the water. IOs are more difficult to winterize, but seem to be a little less expensive to maintain. Outboards are lighter and offer more punch, so a 125 HP Merc will give you more power than the comperable 130 HP stern drive. Read the feedback to my post for the rest. I looked into a used boat with a Force engine on it, someone whom I trust gave me this advice. RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION. If the boat you are looking at is brand new, and there is a Force hanging off of it, call the BBB, there is a Merc laying in the back that should be on it. I will buy this winter, either a 2000 or a 2001 and it will probably be the 1800 from Bayliner. I will look for your next post.<br /><br />Steve, ALB New Mexico
<br /><br />Steve:<br /><br />Your response made a hell of a lot of sense. One last question: Leeping in mind that I plan to do some water skiing, would you go with the 90 HP or 125 HP?? How much worse is the gas consumption for the 125 HP? I appreciate your help and good luck with whatever you decide to buy.<br /><br />Steve

steve064

Cadet

Glad I could help you out. When you talk about the motor, you are talking about the most important part of the boat. This is where spending a little more money is worth the investment. Don't even consider the 90 HP, the 125 HP is the choice. A 90 will pull a kid well enough, but if you pull an adult, or if you have a couple of people (adults) in the boat, the 90 will not provide enough power to do the job. Don't UNDER power the boat to cut costs, as someone before said, if you aren't satisfied with the purchase, you won't enjoy it, and you will end up putting an ad in the paper that says, "Only used 3 times", or you will have to sell the 90 to move up later. It isn't worth the hassel. Besides, when/if you decide to sell the boat to get a larger one, people will shy away from the lack of power. As far as gas consumption goes, I will give you my opinion and one of the other guys with more experience can say yes or no. If you get a 90, you will get better mileage at mid RPM. BUT, I guarantee that if you have a 90 you will run it harder to get the speed that you want, or it will have to work harder to get the performance you demand, You will use more gas, and you will put excess wear and tear on the motor. With a 125 you will spend more time in the RPM range where miles/gallon is the best. The difference will probably be minimal, but fun/gallon will be better with the 125. I can not give you any reason to support getting the 90. If money is the ONLY factor here, don't get the boat until you can afford the power. Keep asking questions, it's the best way to get what you really want.<br />Steve