Outboard Valuation Help

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Howdy strangers! Your old buddy Coop here! I had to get special permission from Art to post cause, you know, it's been a bit. He said prodigal sons were always welcome back to the fold provided they weren't too rank from all the riotous livin'. Fortunately he wasn't down wind when he granted aforementioned permission.

Anywho, I have a 90s model 25 Merc 2 stroke electric start tiller steer that to put it in technical terms is toast. More specifically, cylinder two is weak and the prop shaft is bent.

I've decided I'd like to replace it with a 4 stroke 9.9, and as I was casting about for such a critter I ran across a couple of buyers of dead outboards. One of said buyers is interested in the old Merc and wants to know what I want for it. Ummmmmmm, what do I want for it? I got no ideer! Help!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many dealer now get rid of older 2 stroke " dead " motors.-----Costs too much to remove / inspect parts.----Some trade them for a case of cold suds.-----No call / money to be made with old parts.-----Lots of coins can be made with service work on newer 4 stroke products.----Doubt you will get much from it from one of those buyers.-----Someone looking for the electric start parts will offer you the best coins.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Howdy strangers! Your old buddy Coop here! I had to get special permission from Art to post cause, you know, it's been a bit. He said prodigal sons were always welcome back to the fold provided they weren't too rank from all the riotous livin'. Fortunately he wasn't down wind when he granted aforementioned permission.

Anywho, I have a 90s model 25 Merc 2 stroke electric start tiller steer that to put it in technical terms is toast. More specifically, cylinder two is weak and the prop shaft is bent.

I've decided I'd like to replace it with a 4 stroke 9.9, and as I was casting about for such a critter I ran across a couple of buyers of dead outboards. One of said buyers is interested in the old Merc and wants to know what I want for it. Ummmmmmm, what do I want for it? I got no ideer! Help!
where are you located and is it a shortshaft?

aspeck

Staff member
where are you located and is it a shortshaft?
Stick your nose in the air and sniff and you can figure out that ln is from Arkansas.

NADA says a 1990's in good working order is worth over $2500. Needing an engine rebuild and a shaft replacement/lower unit rebuild, that should eat up a good portion of that amount! That said, remember one of the first rules of sales, "It is really easy to come down in price, but it is really hard to go up in price."

BTW, Welcome back, Mr Coop!

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Thanks fellers! Flyingscott, it's a short shaft and I'm in Little Rock, Arkansas. I've actually run across a 9.9 4 stroke Yammie that's mighty tempting at $600. He says it runs......