Outboard top cylinder getting hot

Dawnraider10

Cadet
Can anyone recommend a workshop Manuel I can buy that will have how to strip and rebuild engine ectect

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A factory manual is best.----Some other manuals belong in the wee house with the 1/4 moon in the door.

Dawnraider10

Cadet
Trying to work out what caused this cylinder to over heat and damaged the piston. Can a carb cause a cylinder to over heat ? Maybe running too lean , can the carbs be adjusted just a thought I just want to rule out any other causes

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Too lean a mixture can cause heating/lack of lubrication, since your motor has a carb for each Cylinder, a Lean condition might not be noticed until Damage has been done.
To name a few, but not all
Improper Float setting.
Restricted Fuel Supply to the carb involved.
Restricted/plugged Orifices/Passages in the Carb.
Gaskets and/or O-rings in Carb not sealing properly.
Leaks in the Gaskets/Seals on the Crankcase, including Crankshaft Seals
Improper Timing can also lead to piston damage

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A 1983 head will be warped.----They all are warped after 20 years , so a 40 year old head needs resurfacing.
if its within the allowed .004'' max warpage, have you had a head leak? not saying go to the ragged edge, just curious. I ignore the people telling me not to add sealer, and do it anyway even after resurfacing.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If you add gorilla snot to the gasket, just do so sparingly so as not to block a Water Passage in the Gasket, like the Old Man did, resulting in the "Hot " Light coming on all the time that year

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you add gorilla snot to the gasket, just do so sparingly so as not to block a Water Passage in the Gasket, like the Old Man did, resulting in the "Hot " Light coming on all the time that year
haha that doesn't sound good! No i just do a very light coat , and usually just on the firing/sealing ring surfaces of head and block. im in saltwater, so any tiny leak on the outside quickly gets fixed with "natures gasket"